Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tarot (again...)

From: Raymond Pugh <rpugh@arcadia.win-uk.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 23:45:02
Subject: Re: Tarot (again...)
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

In article <941209204722_100276.2176_BHG22-4@CompuServe.COM>, Marcel Rijs (100276.2176@compuserve.com) writes:
><WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net> reacts:
>> <argh> Look, Karen's post pissed me off, but I deleted it quick
>> so I wouldn't be tempted to answer. I can't ignore this on
>> though. Take your sarcasm and stick it in your AOL folder. Chris
>> does *not* think "every Love Hound should do what he says" and I
>> don't particularly like your portrayal of him in that way. Chris
>> gave his *opinion* and presented it to the group.
>
>Chris still has the problem of presenting his opinions as mere
>"facts of life" and in the style of my elementary school teacher:
>"Look, 1 plus 1 is 3 because I say so".
>
>> He has a right to do that, you know. His opinion is as valid as
>> anyone else's, and certainly as valid as the Tarot folks.
>                     ^^^^^^^^^
>The implications of this word in this sentence are deeply offensive
>to me, and it's the bottom line when it comes to this subject. I am
>not taking this personally as I'm not one of the Tarot "folks", but
>it's another fine example of the mindboggling use of demeaning
>language on this list at times.

Hey, hang on a minute before this all gets totally out of hand.
What exactly is your problem with the assertion that Chris'
opinion is as valid as those held by the Tarot guys?  What leads
you to interpret that sentence as demeaning?  I think you're
deliberately misinterpreting what Vickie meant.  If she had
emphasised the word "certainly", it could have led you to believe
she was putting down the Tarot advocates.  But, she goes out of
her way to state that she (and Chris), are not out to stop them.
Unfortunately you forgot to include that part of her post.

If you look at Chris' original article, nowhere does he say the
Tarot project should be stopped.  All he does is point out why, in
his opinion, it is unlikely to be well received by KaTe.  That
seems like a pretty tolerant attitude to me.

>I have said it before, and I will keep on repeating it as long as
>necessary: a little more acceptance of each other as human
>individuals on this list is much needed.

Sorry, I don't agree at all.  *I* have found this group to be a
particularly warm and welcoming community, though I'm sure I'll
get flamed after this post.

Come on guys, lighten up - it's nearly Christmas.

   Ray

--
NET: rpugh@arcadia.win-uk.net    What d'you mean you need love not money?
(Work) ray@win-uk.net          You expect to live in a land of milk and honey