Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tarot

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 94 00:42 CST
Subject: Re: Tarot
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Cc: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu

    I usually don't concern myself too much about how Kate would view
our projects, but the Tarot cards are an especially bad idea. There
are two possible ways Kate could view this. Either:

  Kate believes in Tarot: The idea of seeing a tarot deck featuring
herself as all the cards. Oh, that would be nice. I presume this would
include Death. Great, especially considering the number of close friends
of her's who have died in recent years, and the trauma of the death of
her mother.

  Kate does not believe in Tarot: I don't hold out much hope for this
possibility (especially with the pernicious influence of "Lily" in her
life) but if she does not, she would be deeply offended. Of course a
real believer would be equally offended by an "ancient art" being
perverted in this way. (Note to true believers of all stripes: This
could launch a whole like of KT religious products, sure to offend
those of all faiths. KT communion wafers. Knitted KT Love-Hounds
yarmulkas.)

Karen wrote:

>Far from being an impossible task, it is very tangible:  we have a group
>of people interested, it would be fun, and we are entirely capable of
>organizing ourselves for such a project.  We do tapetrees, don't we?

    Sorry Karen, but it's hardly a fair comparison. The original tapes
were produced by one person in one long night. The tapes were then
duplicated by a group of people, a job that required altruism and
dedication, but not artistic skill (not that the tapetree tapes exhibit
that much skill.)
   Your proposed TarotTree is much more complex, and frankly is
of *much* less general interest.
   The tapetree got something that everyone wanted into people's hands
without much muss or bother. It all happened in the background via
e-mail. It would be nice if the tarot-people would show the same
courtesy. Stev0's t-shirts are another good example of a sucessful
project. A few posts to let people know the status of the project.

    It's fairly common for "true believers" to wish others to share
their beliefs. But, every time this sort of spirtualism stuff crops up
on gaffa it's a fairly small core group using the opportunity to proselytize,
and to ascribe to Kate their own beliefs. The old "Well, Kate is
*obviously* a witch!!" nonsense.

   Re the specifics of the project as a project; the idea of many
different people working all around the world will not produce a
artistic work. A project like this would have to be produced by one
very motivated person, or a close group. Anything else will probably
produce work of variable quality. Also, (inevitably) some people will
promise to produce a particular card and the work will never be
finished. Why don't those interested just get together via e-mail
rather than cluttering up Love-Hounds with material that is of little
interest to most, and deeply offensive to some of us.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)