Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tarot

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 08:52:33 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Tarot
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

On Thu, 8 Dec 1994, chris williams wrote:

>     I usually don't concern myself too much about how Kate would view
> our projects, but the Tarot cards are an especially bad idea. There
> are two possible ways Kate could view this. Either:
>
>   Kate believes in Tarot: The idea of seeing a tarot deck featuring
> herself as all the cards. Oh, that would be nice. I presume this would
> include Death. Great, especially considering the number of close friends
> of her's who have died in recent years, and the trauma of the death of
> her mother.
>
>   Kate does not believe in Tarot: I don't hold out much hope for this
> possibility (especially with the pernicious influence of "Lily" in her
> life) but if she does not, she would be deeply offended. Of course a
> real believer would be equally offended by an "ancient art" being
> perverted in this way. (Note to true believers of all stripes: This
> could launch a whole like of KT religious products, sure to offend
> those of all faiths. KT communion wafers. Knitted KT Love-Hounds
> yarmulkas.)

I am, afraid I don't share your belief that she will inevitably take
offense. If she is a believer, she might find it rather spooky to see
herself in a Tarot deck, but "deeply offended" need not follow. Also, FYI,
the symbolism of the Death card is much more complex than "someone is
going to die". In fact, in many possible positions it could occupy in a
reading, it can be a *good* card. If she is a believer, or at least
halfway interested, she would know that.

If she is not a believer, then the cards are not particularly special to
her, and she would probably be no more upset by them than she would an
ordinary pack of playing cards that featured her (which, by the way, would
be a whole lot easier to do and of more general interest). I think Kate
has a history of not being scornful of other peoples' beliefs or easily
offended by them, so, again, I do not think it is a foregone conclusion
that she will be "deeply offended." Anyway, as you implied, knowing Kate
if she's not a believer in the Tarot, she almost certainbly is at least
accepting of the idea.

Honestly, I think the most likely cause for offense is the more mundane
consideration of extensive use of her image -- which is part of her
"product" -- in a project that has commercial possibilities.

As far as your purely practical points go, I agree completely. A
Tarot deck is not something that can be done by committee. It is a work
of art and needs the consistency of the same individual's artistic touch
on each card. If we have dozens of people producing cards, they will not
even look like they belong in the same deck. It is a one-person project

Also, you are correct in saying that this project appeals much less to the
average kateFan than the tape tree. People who own and/or use Tarot cards
are not exactly a rarity, but I am sure they comprise a decidedly minority
sub-set of KateFans. Thus, while the project is neat, it is probably best
done, if it is going to be done at all, as a private project among those
dedicated individuals who are most interested, not as an Official
Love-Hounds Project(TM) like the tape tree.

There are probably people on the list who would want a set of Kate Bush
Tarot cards who would not normally think of buying a Tarot deck, and if
the cards are ever completed, then the list would be an appropriate place
to advertise their availability.

scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us == Stuart M. Castergine                  ---
"Beelzebub is aching in my belly-o. My feet are heavy and I'm rooted |/
in my wellios. And I want to get away and go from all these mirror   |\
windows." -- Kate Bush, Kite