Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: message continued. . .

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 94 04:57 CST
Subject: Re: message continued. . .
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>IED has been unsuccessful (so far) in getting any of the four
>companies behind the Fruitopia account to hand over copies
>of the five ads that were (inexplicably) NOT included in the
>only previous official collection.  One reason given by a
>person involved with the ad campaign was that Kate "might
>have further plans for the music" from the account.  (Too
>bad no one thought of sticking the soundtracks onto the
>forthcoming "And So Is Love" CD-single[s], eh?)  Also, it
>was said that Coca-Cola was aware that "some of you" (that's
>us, folks) have been "turning around and SELLING these ads
>for a profit!"

   Well, lets see...who has a copy of these things...Andy, who would
never sell anything like this...so no it definitly isn't him. Wait..
Coke did give a copy of these to someone else...along with a whole
boatload of Fruitopia...AB of Intergalatic Garage...no, surely not
*Allen*! (MAJOR SARCASM!!!) Anybody want to check the latest IG
newsletter and see if this jerk is selling the ads that Coke gave him?

   NOTE TO ANYBODY AT COKE READING THIS: A.B. of Intergalatic Garage
is *not* "one of us." He has contributed nothing to Love-Hounds other
than commercial announcements. His interest in Kate and Love-Hounds (his
protests to the contrary) is entirely commercial. Yes, we would love to
let a whole bunch of people see these wonderful ads. But nobody actually
involved in Love-Hounds has the slightest interest in selling these.
Everybody involved in the Tape-Tree spent quite a bit of their own
money without any intent to make a profit, or even recover costs.
I made the masters, Tom duped them and sent out the dub-masters and
each of the dubbing sites received tapes from the "leafs." Nobody
was "selling" anything. It was people making copies of non-commercially
available videos for friends. The only difference was the the involvment
of the Net. One of the reasons behind the creation of the Tape-Tree
was the make this rare Kate material widely available, making it
*less* attractive to bootleggers.

   So yeah, we would LOVE to include the Fruitopia ads in the next tape
tree. It would be distributed to ~300 people, all of whom would be
overjoyed to see these commercials. I would think that an advertiser
might be interested in reaching this audience. Basically, it's no
different than including it on a agency reel.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)

P.S. In the above I refered to A.B. as a "jerk." Vickie suggested the
more diplomatic "guy." I would have prefered a stronger word. We
compromised on "jerk."