Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Infant Kiss Inspiration

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 94 04:22 CST
Subject: Re: The Infant Kiss Inspiration
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

MKELAN2.BGPUERZE.073655150094311FMKELAN2@REMNET.AB.COM writes:

>After seeing the final video on the Tapetree tape, it occurred to me that
>indeed 'The Infant Kiss' could have quite easily been inspired by 'The Turn
>of the Screw'.  Fits perfectly.  Anyone heard any Kate interviews where she
>discussed the inspiration for this song?

   Sorry. I forgot to give Bernie a copy of Peter's tape tracklists.

   _The Infant Kiss_ was directly inspired by the film _The Innocents_,
the Truman Capote scripted version of _The Turn of the Screw_ by Jack
Clayton, starring Debroah Kerr. Kate had spoken of the film, and I made
the video from the film as a way of learning how to edit.

>Also, where did those last videos of Kate singing TKI songs come from
>(Moving, Withering Heights, etc)?  British TV show? Terrific.

   The set of videos before _The Infant Kiss_ were made at a theme
park called (all together now!) "De Efteling." They were made in
April 1978, very early in Kate's career.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)