Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on Letterman?

From: wagreiner@ucdavis.edu (Wade Greiner)
Date: 30 Oct 1994 21:20:32 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate on Letterman?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0r0xdB-000imAC@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>,
chris williams <chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>   It would be nice for Kate to get the exposure, but *anyone* but
>Letterman.
>
>   Actually, when Kate was in the US promoting _Hounds of Love_,
>Letterman's show was on Kate's schedule. She decided to not appear.
>I'd like to think that she saw the show the night before, and saw
>Letterman's treatment of women.
>

>                          Chris Williams of
>                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
>                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
>                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)

I don't know what Letterman has done to incur such wrath.  Yes, he makes
comments about women guests appearances that can be taken as sexist, but
certainly no more so than any other of the talk show hosts.  (Well, except
for the old Whoopie Goldberg show.)  Letterman is very supportive of
several talented women singer-songwriters.  Mary Chapin-Carpenter,
Michelle Shocked, Nanci Griffith and a host of others have made regular
appearances and have always been treated with great respect - getting
interview time (and no sexist remarks).  It doesn't really seem to me
that Bush would be a Letterman type (he seems to prefer either folk-
pop acts or good ole basic rock and roll) but I think Kate could do
a lot worse than to nab an appearance on a show with the audience size,
and age, of Letterman's.  She would probably appeal to his audience a
lot more than Leno's...

Wade