Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT-CD-ROM

From: Jay_Daunheimer@mindlink.bc.ca (Jay Daunheimer)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 94 13:37:33 -0800
Subject: Re: KT-CD-ROM
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0qzfn4-000im9C@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>,
chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:

> Msg-ID: <m0qzfn4-000im9C@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>
>

> >What the heck ever happend with the CD ROM anyway?  Did anybody ever get
> >one running?  Did it ever make it to the US?  Did Graham ever get MPEG
> >capabilities? What was on it?  How was it? Interview material?  Lyrics?
>
>    Uli downloaded everything and determined that it would be possible
> to convert everything into a universally usable hypertext format. But
> it sort of wound up being put on the back-burner until one of us gets
> a CD-ROM recorder so that a test disk could be made. It would be
> a real drag to go through the trouble and expense of creating a
> glass master and pressing a test disk and discovering that the
> audio clips and movies played jerkey, or not at all. Uli indicated
> that when the price drops enough he will get one, and then the project
> can go ahead.
>
>    The basic idea was to make one in the 9660 format, so that it would
> be compatible with DOS, Windows, Mac, Amiga, Unix and NeXT. We would
> have to find viewers for all these in order to make the hypertext stuff
> work. One idea: a WWW compatible system. Mosiac allows browsing locally,
> and versions exist for all these formats. So, produce the entire thing
> in HTML, include archives of WWW browsers for each of the formats on the
> disk with standard picture viewers and sound players. Hey, maybe Coke
> would be interested in tossing a little funding our way to include the
> Fruitopia ads!
>
>     If someone out there is a WWW guru, let me know is this workable.
>
> >For that matter, will the updated Laserdisc of The Whole Story with the
> >TSW videos included ever come out here?
> >
> >Will Sony follow up TRS with an "Aspects of The Red Shoes"?
> >
> >Will Sony ever participate in r.m.g. to answer questions?  Offer promos?
> >Ask our opinions on a particular topic?
>
>    Probably all for the best that they haven't. See the Sarah McLachlin
> list to see the ugly spectacle of a record company "getting involved."
> Nettwerk has decided that they can control things on the net and have
> posted "guidelines" for how the list t-shirt (that they are not paying
> for) will look. This is an ugly direction. Kate would *not* have
> approved of the very fine design of the Love-Hounds shirt. She and Sarah
> both dislike seeing their faces on other people's chests. So they "ruled
> out" any pictures. Screw that.
>
>     The reason to wear fannish t-shirts is to meet fellow fans. If it
> doesn't feature a picture and the artist's name, it doesn't serve
> it's purpose. I have a pair of Sarah t-shirts from her tour. They
> feature Sarah's artwork, but no picture, and her name is only in
> her rather spidery handwriting. No one has ever commented on the
> shirts. It's a shame, because if they featured Sarah's image, I would
> have no doubt met many closet Sarah fans.
>
>     If Kate had been asked for her opinion on the design of a t-shirt
> we would have wound up with no picture. Hell, the official Konvention
> [...]

Re your comments on Nettwerk. Um...I'm worried. Being the guy who set
Nettwerk up on the Internet and working this very second on Sarah's CDROM
project. I have always (3 years or so) read your posts and valued your
opinions. So...tell me where we are going wrong?

--
    (_)    |       *******>  Jay_Daunheimer@mindlink.bc.ca  <********
    /o\    |  "No matter where you go, you'll have to go someplace else" -me