Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT-CD-ROM

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 94 01:55 CDT
Subject: Re: KT-CD-ROM
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net

>What the heck ever happend with the CD ROM anyway?  Did anybody ever get
>one running?  Did it ever make it to the US?  Did Graham ever get MPEG
>capabilities? What was on it?  How was it? Interview material?  Lyrics?

   Uli downloaded everything and determined that it would be possible
to convert everything into a universally usable hypertext format. But
it sort of wound up being put on the back-burner until one of us gets
a CD-ROM recorder so that a test disk could be made. It would be
a real drag to go through the trouble and expense of creating a
glass master and pressing a test disk and discovering that the
audio clips and movies played jerkey, or not at all. Uli indicated
that when the price drops enough he will get one, and then the project
can go ahead.

   The basic idea was to make one in the 9660 format, so that it would
be compatible with DOS, Windows, Mac, Amiga, Unix and NeXT. We would
have to find viewers for all these in order to make the hypertext stuff
work. One idea: a WWW compatible system. Mosiac allows browsing locally,
and versions exist for all these formats. So, produce the entire thing
in HTML, include archives of WWW browsers for each of the formats on the
disk with standard picture viewers and sound players. Hey, maybe Coke
would be interested in tossing a little funding our way to include the
Fruitopia ads!

    If someone out there is a WWW guru, let me know is this workable.

>For that matter, will the updated Laserdisc of The Whole Story with the
>TSW videos included ever come out here?
>
>Will Sony follow up TRS with an "Aspects of The Red Shoes"?
>
>Will Sony ever participate in r.m.g. to answer questions?  Offer promos?
>Ask our opinions on a particular topic?

   Probably all for the best that they haven't. See the Sarah McLachlin
list to see the ugly spectacle of a record company "getting involved."
Nettwerk has decided that they can control things on the net and have
posted "guidelines" for how the list t-shirt (that they are not paying
for) will look. This is an ugly direction. Kate would *not* have
approved of the very fine design of the Love-Hounds shirt. She and Sarah
both dislike seeing their faces on other people's chests. So they "ruled
out" any pictures. Screw that.

    The reason to wear fannish t-shirts is to meet fellow fans. If it
doesn't feature a picture and the artist's name, it doesn't serve
it's purpose. I have a pair of Sarah t-shirts from her tour. They
feature Sarah's artwork, but no picture, and her name is only in
her rather spidery handwriting. No one has ever commented on the
shirts. It's a shame, because if they featured Sarah's image, I would
have no doubt met many closet Sarah fans.

    If Kate had been asked for her opinion on the design of a t-shirt
we would have wound up with no picture. Hell, the official Konvention
t-shirts don't even have her damn *name* on them. By the time
of the next Konvention, the t-shirts will probably have no writing or
pictures, featuring only a particular color.

>And where did Tori Amos get that "Eat the Music" fruit hairdo made?
>Kinda cute.

   Um, what *are* you talking about. Fruit hairdo?

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)

"So, he was your superior?"
"No, he was my *boss*."     - A Shock to the System.