Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Worst video

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 94 16:57 CDT
Subject: Re: Worst video
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Gord Locke writes:
>WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net> wrote:
>
>>Least favorite videos:
>>1) Them Heavy People (hands down *worst* thing ever passed off as an
>>official video ever, by anybody, IMO. .......
>
>	No way!  The worst is definitely the Rubberband Girl video where
>she's strutting around with the sunglasses and mike stand.  The only
>halfway-cool part is where she's walking down the stairs with a flashlight
>on her head.  The whole thing is just a collage of video-cliches--hard for
>me to watch.  Gaffans seemed to think it was a parody of `typical' videos
>when it first came out, but that sounds like wishful thinking to me.

    Wishful thinking? Hardly. Columbia rejected the real Rubberband Girl
video, and Kate had to make another video just for them. She said in an
interview that she only had a day to do it. Think about it, and watch
both videos one after the other (the original first.)

   In the first video a consistant style was maintained, and the second
jumped from one visual style to another - in the time-honored eMpTyVee
fashion.

   In the first video Kate and band were playing the part of a singer
and her band rehearsing late into the night, aparently for a stage
preformance. The second only exists in some sort of music video limbo
world devoid of context.

   Kate rarely (only on one occasion to my memory) uses a mike stand
while standing up and singing. Yet here she is in this video making
all sort of James-Brown-via-Roger-Daltry mike stand moves. This is
funny!

   The second _Rubberband Girl_ is a companion piece to the very
amusing previous "America-only" video _Love And Anger_.

   I'm very confident that with the second video Kate was trying
to be funny. Her success at that is all a matter of personal opinion.
Her sense of humor is truely that, a "sense of humor." She has never
exibited great confidence it, and most of her jokes are tossed off under
her breath. She really should feel more sure of her humor, as people
will stand no chance of "getting it" if she doesn't believe in it
herself.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)