Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Average gaffan...

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 94 7:58:51 EDT
Subject: Re: Average gaffan...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

Dave Thomas writes:

> Here's a new thread:  What's your musical taste?

I agree that there's no such thing as an "average" gaffian (we're all above
average, yes? :)).  I love lots of different music myself, but I tend to
focus on female vocalists, with the biggest emphasis on singer/songwriter/
musicians, such as Kate, Happy Rhodes, Jane Siberry, Tori Amos, Sarah
McLachlan and Milla (the newest kid on my goddess block).  I love a wide
variety of styles, from the weird-ance of Danielle Dax to the fractured
jazz of Holly Cole to the country-ness of Iris DeMent to the rap-ola of
Queen Latifah to the ethereal Celtic-ish sounds of Enya to the crock-pot
rock of Concrete Blonde, to the transplanted blues-iness of Texas, to the
intelligent pop of The Sundays...and more, and more.  So much music...so
little money...and time.

There are male artists I like, ranging from Peter Gabriel to Camper Van
Beethoven to Ravi Shankar to Boiled In Lead, but when it comes to spending
money on music, I still have a list a mile long of music by women I need
to get.  Peter's the only guy I'd buy *anything* by, right away.  I don't
consider myself sexist, I just prefer female voices.

> Mine tends mainly toward folk, with a strong influence on celtic music (I
> happen to be one of those "weirdos" who likes bagpipes).

If you really like to search out unusual things that feature bagpipes, I
have one for you.  Happy Rhodes uses bagpipes on a song called "Out Like
A Lamb" on her album _Equipoise_.  They play on after the song ends, adding
(as I hear it) an extra poignant and mournful touch to a song about her
father's death.  I love the song, and the bagpipes usually bring a tear to
my eye.

Vickie