Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Average gaffan...

From: primm@bcrvmpc2.vnet.ibm.com (Gregg Primm)
Date: 5 Oct 1994 14:50:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Average gaffan...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <CMM-RU.1.4.781358331.vickie@pilot.njin.net>, vickie@pilot.njin.net (WretchAwry) writes:
>Dave Thomas writes:
>
>> Here's a new thread:  What's your musical taste?
>
>I agree that there's no such thing as an "average" gaffian (we're all above
>average, yes? :)).  I love lots of different music myself, but I tend to
>focus on female vocalists, with the biggest emphasis on singer/songwriter/
>musicians, such as Kate, Happy Rhodes, Jane Siberry, Tori Amos, Sarah
>McLachlan and Milla (the newest kid on my goddess block).

>I love a wide
>variety of styles, from the weird-ance of Danielle Dax to the fractured
>jazz of Holly Cole to the country-ness of Iris DeMent to the rap-ola of
>Queen Latifah to the ethereal Celtic-ish sounds of Enya to the crock-pot
>rock of Concrete Blonde, to the transplanted blues-iness of Texas, to the
>intelligent pop of The Sundays...and more, and more.  So much music...so
>little money...and time.

Vickie, have you been peeking at my list?

Actually, I haven't gotten into Happy or Milla, yet (all in good time,
though...).  I would add to this list Laurie Anderson (new CD's out in three
weeks...), Paula Cole (not a "fan," per se, but I haven't stopped listening
to her CD "Harbinger" since I bought it last week), Sinead O'Connor,
Eurythmics/Annie Lennox, Joan Armatrading, Rickie Lee Jones, Bjork/Sugarcubes,
and a variety of blues singers (Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Dianne
Schurr,..).  Can't say I'm familiar with Hooly Cole, Dax, or DeMent, though,
and when it comes to rap I _much_ prefer the more experimental, "peace out"
styles of rap from Nenah Cherry, Digable Planets, and Arrested Development
to Queen Latifah's more "standard" style.

>There are male artists I like, ranging from Peter Gabriel to Camper Van
>Beethoven to Ravi Shankar to Boiled In Lead,

"...Oh, the microorganism..." ;-)

>but when it comes to spending
>money on music, I still have a list a mile long of music by women I need
>to get.  Peter's the only guy I'd buy *anything* by, right away.  I don't
>consider myself sexist, I just prefer female voices.

Again, you're peeking!  Personally, no preference (although I am more
likely to go "head-over-heels" in fandom for women's voices before men's).
I would add REM, Crash Test Dummies, Barenaked Ladies, Stan Ridgway,
Toad the Wet Sprocket (BTW, their lead singer was featured in this week's
Rolling Stone's "Raves" column mentioning The Dreaming as one of his
favorite albums because "each song is like a movie"), Blue Oyster Cult
(somehow, this one seems out of place...), Lyle Lovett, Sting/Police,
and countless others.

Throw in lots of classical, some jazz, a smidgen of "world music" (one of
the most silly, overused, and non-descriptive phrases to enter the
language lately, IMHO -- I mean, what does it mean?  Music that doesn't
sound like music that ususally comes from America or somewhere in
Europe...), movie soundtracks, and some dance music and you've got me.

-- Gregg!

=           Gabriel before me              +   In the circle of fire     +
+ Uriel on my left side + Michael to my right =       Gregg Primm        =
=           Raphael behind me              + primm@bcrvmpc2.vnet.ibm.com +
My opinions.  Mine mine mine!  Not IBM's!  Mine!