Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rating Kate

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 94 6:48:03 EDT
Subject: Rating Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

Interesting...I was asked in e-mail why I and a few other "big-time"
Kate fans hadn't participated in the Rate Kate thread.  We didn't
hear from IED, Peter Morris, |>oug Alan, Jon Drukman, Chris Williams
and quite a few others.  I can't speak for anyone else (except Chris,
in that I know he hates rating Kate albums and never, ever participates
in such threads) but I'll speak for myself.  I have no problems with
the fact that this thread comes up a lot.  I'm always glad to see it,
because they always make for fascinating reading, and they bring out
a lot of lurkers.  I think other people can put into words why they
like certain albums/songs better than I can, and I'd rather read what
they have to say.  Mostly it has to do with laziness.  I started a
post, and never got around to finishing it.

So anyway, I'll try to finish this one...

1)  The Dreaming: always and forever, amen.  The sheer variety of songs,
sounds, lyrics, voices, instruments and ideas will keep me interested
until the day I die.  The album I want to be cremated with.  There isn't
one song I don't absolutely adore, but particular favorites are "Night
Of The Swallow," "The Dreaming," "Suspended In Gaffa," "Sat In Your Lap"
and "Get Out Of My House."

2)  The Ninth Wave: yes, I have to split the sides up.  What is there
to say that hasn't already been said?  I love all the songs so passionately
that I can't choose favorites.  The only song I adore somewhat less than
the others is "The Morning Fog."

3)  The Sensual World: I loved this album immediately, and it's only
gotten better to me.  It's getting to be fall, and I consider this
a fall album.  There's only one song I don't much care for, "Heads
We're Dancing," and even it sounds cool on my Magic Headphones :).
Particular favorites are "The Sensual World," "Reaching Out,"
"Rocket's Tail" and "This Woman's Work."

4)  The Kick Inside:  Changes places with Never For Ever depending on
which one I'm listening to.  I rank it 4th now because I'm listening
to it :).  "Wuthering Heights" was the first song I heard, and I knew
*immediately* that I had begun a love affair that would last me for
life.  Particular favorites are "Wuthering Heights" (of course), "The
Saxophone Song," "L'Amour Looks Something Like You" and "Oh To Be In
Love" (weird choice, but something about it just cracks me up every time).

<sigh> "All We Ever Look For" <sigh>

6)  Lionheart:  Too bad this always gets put near the bottom, because I
really love nearly every song.  Particular favorites: "In Search Of
Peter Pan," "Kashka From Baghdad," "Coffee Homeground" and "Hammer Horror."

7)  Hounds Of Love:  I do love all these songs, but I actually prefer
listening to all the extended mixes.  My favorite from the actual album is
"Mother Stands For Comfort."

8)  The Red Shoes:  Too bad that *something* has to come last.  I'd bet
some people don't want to rank because they don't want to have to put
anything last.  Favorite songs: "Lily," "The Red Shoes," "Big Stripey
Lie," "Moments Of Pleasure" and "Eat The Music."

None of the songs in the following categories are in any particular order:

Favorite songs (changes daily):
1) Night Of The Swallow
2) Army Dreamers
3) The Sensual World
4) Wuthering Heights
5) The Dreaming

Favorite non-album tracks:
1) Be Kind To My Mistakes (original version)
2) Davy (a Cathy Demo)
3) Under The Ivy
4) Ne T'en Fui Pas (probably spelled wrong, sorry)
5) My Lagen love

Favorite videos:
1) The Sensual World (Kate at her most beautiful...and that dress! Wow!)
2) Wuthering Heights (keef's...it stands the test of time, IMO)
3) Rocket Man  (yes, definitely)
4) Running Up That Hill (her version, not MTV's)
5) Delius  (breathtakingly beautiful)

Songs I wish had videos:
All the ones I've already mentioned as favorites, and that don't have
videos, plus these. In other words, an excuse to mention some more
favorite songs :)

1) Lord Of The Reedy River
2) Warm And Soothing
3) Frightened Eyes (a Cathy Demo)
4) Disbelieving Angel (a Cathy Demo)
5) Walk Straight Down The Middle

Least favorite songs:
1) Violin
2) Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake
3) You're The One
4) James And The Cold Gun
5) I'm Still Waiting

Least favorite videos:
1) Them Heavy People (hands down *worst* thing ever passed off as an
official video ever, by anybody, IMO.  However, I love the song, and
I *love* the version on the "Dutch" videos.)
2) That's it...all of them have somthing worthy, if even just the
presence of Kate.  Even my least favorite songs become not so least
favorite when I'm watching her sing them, such as the live "James..." on
the Hammersmith, the "...Heartbrake" on the Leo Sayer special, and the
wonderful "Violin" on the Christmas special.

Well...that's it. (Aren't you sorry you asked Stan? :))

Vickie (flattered at being considered by one to be a "big-time" Kate fan)