Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rate Kate

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 21:57:22 GMT
Subject: Re: Rate Kate
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, Connie_Lofton@sonymusic.com (Connie Lofton) says:

>As a 12-year Kate fan (though not as well-versed in all things Bush as most are
>here on r.m.g! :-)), I'd like to ask people to rate the seven Kate albums (not
>counting "The Whole Story", of course) in order of preference.  I have a sense

Ah!  Here's a fun thread that EVERYONE can contribute to!  May I say on the
behalf of just about everyone that few of us will be happy rating ANY of
Kate's records "7th" --no matter what the list is for?  That said...

1) The Dreaming --I think it's her most distinctive, artistically
ambitious,texturally complex record.  Lyrical complexity and sophistication,
too.

2) The Kick Inside  --Nothing like fresh genius at work.  I think this
record is full of her strongest _melodies_.  Also, being her first record,
penned at a tender age, it's easier to forgive some of the ingenuousness
that occasionally cloys her work (a little).  This record never gets tired.

3) Hounds of Love --"The Ninth Wave" is a wonder.  A "concept" record that
doesn't beat you over the head (I can't stand "The Wall.")  Production is a
little on the slick side, and the advent of drum loops etc. takes a lot of
the texture out of the music --the sonics are a bit flat sometimes.

4) The Sensual World --"Love & Anger" is one of the best ever. Lots of great
individual songs.  More textured than 'Hounds', which is welcome.
Good-looking videos, too.

5) The Red SHoes  --Actually hard to place this yet because it hasn't lived
with me long enough yet. Could really move in the list.

6 & 7)  Lionheart & Never Forever  --Because I bought them both on the same
day, after _The Dreaming_ came out, I have a hard time separating them, and
actually I like the way they blur together for me --I don't feel I always
know what the next note or song is.  The best songs are have a TKI feel in
the melody.  Now, if I could only keep this pair or Red Shoes, what would I
do?  Ever have those childhood dreams where you could save your mom or dad
but not both. . . ?

It'll be ineteresting to see the results of this "poll."  Anyone have the
gumption to keep a running tally?

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt