Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rate Kate

From: gregp@adexpbbs.sccsi.com (Gregg Primm)
Date: 22 Sep 1994 21:26:18 GMT
Subject: Re: Rate Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <9409221929.AA4563@notes.worldcom.com>, Connie_Lofton@sonymusic.com (Connie Lofton) writes:

[Connie's list and comments deleted]

Well, I have a bit of trouble after the first two:

1.  Hounds of Love:
          Well-rounded and brilliant, her most coherent
          work, although it does lack the technical
          brilliance and variety of...

2.  The Dreaming:
          Challenging.  No other word for it.  I've
          been listening to this one for almost seven
          years, now, and it has moved steadily up this
          list (from just above Lionheart), mostly because of
          its seemingly endless inventiveness.  However, I
          place it ever-so-slightly behind HoL because some
          of its songwriting seems somewhat immature to me, and
          because its variety of sound and style prevent it
          from working as well as a whole.  Brilliant, all the
          same.

Now it gets trickier...

3.  Tie: Never Forever/The Sensual World:
          NFE showcases "early" Kate at her finest, TSW features
          later Kate in some of her finest moments (This Woman's Work
          still gives me chills, and The Fog and The Sensual World
          rate among her finest moments.  NFE is essentially flawless,
          TSW not quite so good as a whole (L&A never did much for
          me, I _hate_ Rocket's Tail, and Never Be Mine makes me
          want to take a nap).

4.  Tie: The Kick Inside/The Red Shoes:
          The Kick Inside is full of _great_ songs, but the
          production and arrangements leave me sort of cool.  Also,
          I've always been more of a fan of KB's low range, which is
          nowehere in sight, here.  The Red Shoe's is a very good album,
          but has few standouts (MoP, BSL, Lily, TSoS).  By no means
          bad, but the majority of it is just not as good as the rest
          of the Bush catalog.

5.  Dead Last: Lionheart:
          Easily my least favorite.  Screechy and mostly
          uninteresting (although Kashka is great, and I've
          always had a soft spot for Hammer Horror).  This was
          the last one I picked up on CD (for the sake of
          completeness, only) and I only drag it out every five
          or six weeks.  Again, not _bad_ by normal standards,
          just not even in the game by KB standards.

All IMHO, of course!

-- Gregg!

=           Gabriel before me               +   In the circle of fire   =
+ Uriel on my left side + Michael to my right =       Gregg Primm       +
=           Raphael behind me               + gregp@adexpbbs.sccsi.com  =
My opinions.  Mine mine mine!  Not IBM's!  Mine!