Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Knights Templar (KT) reference in Kate Bush FAQ -- Teutonic!!!

From: marek@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Marek Lugowski)
Date: 12 Sep 1994 23:09:05 GMT
Subject: Re: Knights Templar (KT) reference in Kate Bush FAQ -- Teutonic!!!
To: rec-music-gaffa@relay1.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

		Philip Dahl <leiter@panix.com>:

[me:]

>: later, after evacuating that locale, hanging
>: out on Malta with nothing much to do,
>
>No, that was the Hospitallers, aka the Knights of St. John, and they had
>plenty to do to turn back a vastly outnumbering army of Turks who chased
>them there from Palastine and then from Rhodes.

[...description of mayhem in 1380s-1410 in Poland...]

>That sounds like the Teutonic Knights, not the Knights Templar.

Ah.  My bad.

>Given the way your conception of history is so strongly colored with
>ideology, there's no reason to think you have any clear conception of
>what K8 is doing either.  Why any of this would be *urgent* I don't know.

Urgent cuz I was up at night and curiosity is a mad bitch, you know?

Who is "K8"?  I'm not up on all the new hiphop notation for Ms. Bush.

Been out of circulation a bit.  And why are you sounding annoyed?  And
what is this bit about ideology?  I would be the first one to ask if
anyone can say something nice about the Teutonic Knights.  It might be
enlighting.  I have yet to see it happen.

On a similar subject of saying something nice about someone who should
not be so distinguished, you imply having something nice on Richard
III the Lionhearted, is that correct?

I hate to disappoint you, but I happen to be in possession of
historical information with verifiable sound citations in printed
sources readily available at the NYC Public Library which upon your
perusal may sway your favorable conception of the king who rescued his
bride on coastal Cyprus...  See, I said something nice about him, just
to be contrary.  I am afraid that pretty much is the limit.

For your information, the Teutonic Knights hung out aimlessly on
Malta, as well, just as if filming a Levis 501 Regular Fit Rivet Blue
Armor commercial, which fact seems to have glided in under your radar.

If you are such a historian, where is your dispassionate charity for
the enthusiastic student and fello armchair historian? :)

Sorry to all the Templar Knight folk for my previous aspersions-casting
mistaken identity.  Done in innocence, I assure you.  As Rosanna Dana
Dana would squit, smile, and say, "neh hver mind!!!".

:)

				-- Marek

P.s.  Thank you for the historical info.  Really.  Fascinating stuff.
      Now about those Tutonic Knights...  Naaaaasty boyzzzz.