Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Knights Templar (KT) reference in Kate Bush FAQ

From: marek@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Marek Lugowski)
Date: 12 Sep 1994 01:36:09 GMT
Subject: Knights Templar (KT) reference in Kate Bush FAQ
To: rec-music-gaffa@relay1.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hello KaTe Fans...

I was grazing on the FAQ for odds and ends and I came upon an odd, for sure,
for me anyway:

 -------
4.1. Kate Bush - her career and Kate as a human being

     Kate's first appearance in the public was a little tour through a few
     London pubs together with the so called KT (read: Katie) Bush Band.
     All of Kate's albums have the KT (originally Knights Templar) symbol
     hidden somewhere either on the cover or on the vinyl itself (see section
     4.6). You might have to have original UK versions of the albums to find
     them. The KT initials can also be seen in the "Army Dreamers" video.
     The release of the This Woman's Work boxed set there appeared a new
     version of the KT symbol that includes            _O_
     the biological symbol for woman:                   |<
 -------

Someone(s) knowledgable, pls. explain the connection of Kate Bush to
Knights Templar.  The Knights Templar I am aware off were just hire-on
"knight"-thugs, a gang, in modern parlance, an order, actually, historically
implicated from the 13th century and beyond, first in incredible Crusades
attrocities in Palestine, later, after evacuating that locale, hanging
out on Malta with nothing much to do, and later, upon a [WWII-relevant (!)]
regrettable invitation to northern Mazovia (Poland, Masury lake district,
the town & castle of Malbork), by a certain idiot Polish prince dude who
had decided that, wimp yet greedy for land, he had border disputes with
the inocuous leave-us-alone-and-we-will-be-out-of-your-face-okay? Prusses
(Balt-speaking indiginous forest people of that region, very fierce in
combat & not wishing to be Christianized) -- took a fealty oath and became
lodgers to Mazovia, settling the land, in exchange conducting a basically
bloody pacification campaign, as we say in the 20th century, under the
noble guise of bringing Salvation and the Lord's word to the unwilling.
(The usual story.)

To cut the TK gaffa short, The Templar Knights I know of seem to have
been an absolute *antithesis* to everthing Kate Bush as known to me
stands for.  This makes the mystery of her album cover sign that much
more urgent.

I am not fibbing or trolling for a hostile reaction.  I also don't
feel like reestablishing my Kate Bush-appreciating credentials here
(hi nessus...:)).  The historically curious (you'll understand WWI and
WWII better as a result) are referred to the Encyclopedia Britanica,
History of Poland, Macropedia (and other related entries).

So, what is the story here?  Why Kate and why Knights Templar?  Were
there other Knights Templar?  Did Kate not know and only later find out
and that is why the symbol changed?

				-- Marek