Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Fans

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 12:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fans
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Regarding how Kate views her fans, we should also keep in mind that she
has several times used ethnic music in her work that was introduced to
her by tapes fans sent in via Kate Bush Club.  I believe that includes
the Sensual World's Macedonian folk theme, as well as several bits of the
Ninth Wave.  I bet if we looked back through the KBC magazines we'd pick
up a few specific incidents.

I can say from experience (as a writer) that it is most disconcerting,
most wonderful, and very confusing to have people grasp your hand, look
you sincerely in the eye and tell you that some work you've done has
changed their life.

It is also very gratifying to be appreciated, and this is one of the
things that keeps creative types going . . . having your work truly
appreciated.  But to have people be awestruck at your presence is a bit
weird.

It is not an experience I would seek out.  However, people I've met and
their ideas have made their way into my work, so I wouldn't snub anyone
either.

I don't know if this provides any perspective . . . I also don't know how
Kate manages to get up on stage, go to interviews, etc.  I always turn
red and blotchy!  I saw Dorothy Allison (Bastard Out of Carolina) reading
this weekend and she turned red and blotchy too, so I guess it's okay!

P.S. I'm reading with some other folks at Alexander Books in San
Francisco on October 3.  Anyone interested in directions e-mail me.

Karen  kln@crl.com