Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's bush...

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 20:24:22 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate's bush...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <m0qjaLf-000ilpC@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>
chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:

>      It was in a UK edition of _Penthouse_. They really tried to create
>   the wrong impression; the model's name was "Kate Simmons" and "...a
>   doctor's daughter." It did not appear in the US edition, further
>   showing that it was an attempt to cash in on "purient interest."

It seems clear that Penthouse was purposely trying to be reminscent of
Kate Bush with their Kate Simmons pictorial.  It's not true however
that the pictorial was only in the UK edition--it *did* appear in the
U.S. addition.  I know this because I was seventeen at the time, and
sent off to spend the summer at Harvard Summer School.  Being a
seventeen year-old horny guy, off on his own unsupervised for the
first time, who could avoid buying a few taudry magazines?  This was
the summer of 1979.  Ironically, I was quite familiar with Kate
Simmons long before I ever heard of Kate Bush.