Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Various

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 17:35:13 GMT
Subject: Re: Various
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, kln@crl.com ("Karen L. Newcombe") says:

>RE: Reagan being Godhead, I wonder if there wasn't something going on the
>week that the Do Bears bit was filmed . . . such as Reagan was tweaked in
>the press for thinking the U.S. could dictate to the world or some such.
>You all know that comedy shows often pick up on this week's current
>events.  Maybe if we knew the date the show was recorded we could check
>the newspapers quickly and see if Reagan had somehow irritated the rest
>of the world by playing god.

I don't have a good explanation of the line myself, but explanations like
this one (and similar ones lately) don't seem quite right to me because the
comedy of the questions in the song comes from their answer being a
resounding "YES." Is Chairman Mao dead?  Is the Bible fiction?  Do bear Sh*
in the woods?

I agree that Reagan is a likely enough target of satire at the time of the
performance, but I don't think we're getting the joke right yet.

BTW, has anyone else noticed a point in the song where RA can be heard doing
an extended "Lalalalalalala" but for the first few "la's" his mouth doesn't
look to be moving? It sure doesn't look like a lip-synch otherwise, but this
detail puzzles me.

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt