Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Catchup stuff

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 94 13:52 CDT
Subject: Re: Catchup stuff
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <01HFX1PLJNFMQPGC47@ccmail.sunysb.edu> you write:

>       Finally, thanks to Lori Karn and all the others who have begun rolling
>the ball toward the next *truly* compendious Lovehounds Collection.  I can
>assure all that the process of moving heaven and earth to get at master-
>quality tapes of the various missing links has already begun.  I for one
>won't be able to *stand* it until I have my own clean copy of the "Them Heavy
>People" that Kate did for Japanese television (on a program Andy thinks was
>called something like "`S' is for Stereo").  Imagine Kate on the late great
>"Solid Gold," doing the song dancing in unison with two of the Solid Gold
>Dancers, in a blubbling uptime.  A true must-have.

    I had a recurring nightmare in the early eighties about Kate getting
way to popular and being forced to appear on Solid Gold. It was
*exactly* like _Sound In "S"_. It's right up there with Wendy O.
Williams (no relation) and the Plasmatics appearing on Solid Gold or
Patty Smith's appearance on _Kids Are People Too_ singing "You Light
Up My Life." No, I'm *not* kidding. These are real events.

    I don't know if the "Rolling The Ball" should *ever* appear on a
tape tree tape. Sure, her wonderful covers of "The Long And Winding
Road" and "She's Leaving Home" would make a good addition, I *cannot*
be responsible for the aftermath of putting something like "Rolling
The Ball" (stupid mistake theirs) in general circulation. It's not
the sort of thing that we show every visitor, only people who have an
*unshakable* faith in Kate's talent. At the very least we should require
some sort of release form. Sure the unedited Night Flight is stupid,
but *Kate* did not embarass *herself*. _Sound In "S"_ is the sort of
"hunt down and burn all copies of" thing that haunts many stars. I
don't know if Kate could forgive us, no matter *how* good her sense
of humor.

>       No more tapetree, though.  This will have to be CD.  We may need to
>wait a little while for the medium to mature and the format wars to settle
>down.  Stay around:  the newsgroup seems as happy and active as I can
>remember, and the best is still to come!

   I, for one, an anxious to hear Peter's comments on Henry Burdett
Messenger's theory about the genesis of _The Ninth Wave_.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)