Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Catchup stuff

From: lkarn@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Lori L Karn)
Date: 16 Aug 1994 11:41:05 GMT
Subject: Re: Catchup stuff
To: rec-music-gaffa@rodan.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0qa78q-000ilpC@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>,
chris williams <chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:>>

>    I had a recurring nightmare in the early eighties about Kate getting
>way to popular and being forced to appear on Solid Gold. It was
>*exactly* like _Sound In "S"_. It's right up there with Wendy O.
>Williams (no relation) and the Plasmatics appearing on Solid Gold or
>Patty Smith's appearance on _Kids Are People Too_ singing "You Light
>Up My Life." No, I'm *not* kidding. These are real events.
>
>    I don't know if the "Rolling The Ball" should *ever* appear on a
>tape tree tape. Sure, her wonderful covers of "The Long And Winding
>Road" and "She's Leaving Home" would make a good addition, I *cannot*
>be responsible for the aftermath of putting something like "Rolling
>The Ball" (stupid mistake theirs) in general circulation. It's not
>the sort of thing that we show every visitor, only people who have an
>*unshakable* faith in Kate's talent. At the very least we should require
>some sort of release form. Sure the unedited Night Flight is stupid,
>but *Kate* did not embarass *herself*. _Sound In "S"_ is the sort of
>"hunt down and burn all copies of" thing that haunts many stars. I
>don't know if Kate could forgive us, no matter *how* good her sense
>of humor.

A vote for "Sound in 'S'".   Yes, it is cheesy and awful in a way only
the 1970's could be, but watch Kate's face as she performs.  This must
be a very early clip as she seems to be thrilled to be performing for
such a large audience for the first time.  It isn't often that we've seen
her that enthusiastic about performing.  I really like her energy and
excitement on that and the other Japanese performances.

Lori K.