Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Catchup stuff

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 1994 23:45:52 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Catchup stuff
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

       Thanks to Steve Berlin (steve.b@TQS.COM) for the *totally wonderful*
T-shirts:  I bought four, if that tells you anything, and everybody loves
them.  Besides the fact that the final product came out so great, I'd like to
ensure that he gets applause for his exceedingly orderly, thorough, and
timely handing of the logistics and communications for the whole project.
Knowing what the tapetree involved--with two dozen people helping--I can
assure all of us that Stev0 <where'd your 0 go?> spent *a lot of time* on
this!

       Thanks also to Steve for his splendid evocation of Katemas at Karen's,
with his many observant details.  Including:

>                         Running gag:  Ask Peter Manchester which Kate
> song it is which goes, "Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!"

I know!  I know!  Ask me, teacher!  Let's see:  it's that one that's on
Lionheart...no, it's on Never for Ever...no, I'm thinking of "Violin," which
is the only song on the Hammersmith tape that is not from TKI or LH.  So it
*is* on LH.  And it's the one song that they *didn't* include when Night
Flight broadcast the Hammersmith show in 1986.  And it's the one on The Whole
Story that didn't use either the purple dress video from the Singles File
*or* the nifty Hammersmith performance, but instead has a compilation of
shots from all over the Hammersmith show.  It's not the song that people
sometimes mistakenly call "Rolling the Ball," and it's not the song that Sue
Simmons called "Racing up that Hill,"...   Hmmm....  What was the question
again?

       Since I'm back on Long Island, jet-lagged and culture-shocked, with
hardcore reality setting in tomorrow morning, let me scatter-shoot a few
incidentals.  I appreciated Paul Rickter's question (rickter@world.std.com),

> I have questions about the "rapido" segment of tape b:  The documentation
> includes very little detail about the show.  What is the format of the
> Rapido Show?  When was this video recorded?  Are there any other video
> clips that show KaTe in her studio?

"Very little" is something of an overstatement, but what there is was all I
could find in The Garden or the Illustrated Biography.  Anybody know more?

Scott Telford <Cu7CnJ.AHx@world.std.com> supplied some details from memory
and a surmise about the date:

> In article <Cu7CnJ.AHx@world.std.com>, rickter@world.std.com (Paul C
> Rickter) writes:
>
>> I have questions about the "rapido" segment of tape b:  The documentation
>> includes very little detail about the show.  What is the format of the
>> Rapido Show?
>
> Can't really remember. All I recall is that a lot of it seemed to
> comprise the presenter (Antoine des Caunes) against a white background
> speaking to the camera with large "RAPIDO" capitions down both
> sides....
>
> I do know, however that the dub on the Love-Hounds Collection misses
> out a bit just before the "making the tea" sequence where she jumps
> out of the back of a Citroen CX, runs round the corner and goes into
> the studio.
>
>> When was this video recorded?
>
> Ummm, late 1989? I think her hair looks suspiciously like the way it
> did in the VH-1 interview, so if you can date that...
>
>> Are there any other video
>> clips that show KaTe in her studio?
>
> Not that I can remember.

       Thanks to Scott too for spotting another editorial blunder in the
tapetree notes:

> Speaking of the Lovehounds Collection, I think there's an error in
> the listings, the section claimed to be Hounds of Love on Top of the
> Pops, is in fact HoL being performed at the 1986 BPI Awards.

It's too late tonight for me to go back to my raw cut-and-paste file for the
tracklist, but I remember getting *very* confused about the various HoL
appearances, and I'll bet the ranch that Scott is right.

       Ed Suranyi caught two more typos at Katemas at Karen's, for which my
thanks (and apologies):  in addition to misspelling Annie Lennox's name in
the track *title* (corrected in ver. 1.01 that reached some of the last
tapetree participants), I also misspelled it in the paragraph that follows in
the notes.  And I spelled Pittsburgh without the final `h' somewhere in
there, too.

       I seem not to have clipped the post, but someone asked about getting
ahold of the tapetree tracklists and notes in file form.  Tom Estes replied
correctly that I did them in AmiPro 3.01, using the HP Laserjet printer
driver.  Because AmiPro is so thoroughly WYSIWYG, the original file will
print as distributed *only* from AmiPro using that printer.  But I can export
the data itself (corrected and updated, of course!) in virtually every PC
format.  Anyone interested, email me and I'll see what I can do for you.

       Finally, thanks to Lori Karn and all the others who have begun rolling
the ball toward the next *truly* compendious Lovehounds Collection.  I can
assure all that the process of moving heaven and earth to get at master-
quality tapes of the various missing links has already begun.  I for one
won't be able to *stand* it until I have my own clean copy of the "Them Heavy
People" that Kate did for Japanese television (on a program Andy thinks was
called something like "`S' is for Stereo").  Imagine Kate on the late great
"Solid Gold," doing the song dancing in unison with two of the Solid Gold
Dancers, in a blubbling uptime.  A true must-have.

       No more tapetree, though.  This will have to be CD.  We may need to
wait a little while for the medium to mature and the format wars to settle
down.  Stay around:  the newsgroup seems as happy and active as I can
remember, and the best is still to come!

                                "Um, I think it's 'Wow'." - Peter Manchester
                                               pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                    72020.366@compuserve.com