Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori Amos discussion

From: TKR@ac.dal.ca
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 23:34:29 -0400
Subject: Re: Tori Amos discussion
To: rec-music-gaffa@math.waterloo.edu

From: tkr@ac.dal.ca
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 5 Aug 94 00:34:22 -0300

In article <1994Aug2.200523.14401@unix.brighton.ac.uk>, pptjc@brighton.ac.uk (Peter Chow <pptjc@uk.ac.bton.vaxk>) writes:
> I discovered something today. It's been bugging me for some time now
> but I think I have the answer.
>
> The question? - "Why don't I like Tori Amos?"
>
> This was a tough one because I actually do like a lot of her tracks
> a bit. The problem here is those last two words "a bit". In most
> tracks I find something that I like or that I *really* like but
> they are isolated and the whole leaves me unconvinced.
>
> My sister only has the 'Little Earthquakes' album and the 'Cornflake
> Girl' CD single so I can't speak for her new album but what I've
> heard so far hasn't made much impact on me.
>
> It's not a question of skill, Tori is a very competent
> singer/songwriter/musician. The production is interesting and has
> variety making the recordings involving. In fact, in terms of
> production it seems a more intersting album than Kate's first; at
> least that was my immediate impression upon playing Tori's album
> directly after 'The Kick Inside'.
>
> It's not really the songs themselves either; The lyrics are good,
> delivered with expression and emotion. I could get used to her piano
> style which has a definite jazzy feel sometimes and her
> predisposition to dischords and the _angular_ shape of the music
> (sudden changes in the feel or flow of the melody).
>
> Much has been made of the comparisons between Kate and Tori but I
> tried to put such thoughts aside while assessing Tori's music.
> However, in the end it was a comparison that led to my 'discovery'.
>
> Kate's songs have the same strength of emotion as Tori's but when I
> listen to Kate it is with the clear understanding that the songs
> personalities are those of actors. There is a strong escapism
> element to them. This is where Tori's songs differ. They seem to be
> real, too real. This would not be a bad thing except for the anger
> and even sometimes hate that she expresses. It is this that leaves
> the bad after-taste with me.
>
> This goes some way to explaining why I like 'Cornflake Girl'. It is
> a fictional work and has some of the most obscure lyrics I've ever
> come across. This works in it's favour though as I can spend ages
> pondering what on earth it's supposed to mean, if anything. The
> track is also one that has more dynamics in the melody (less
> monotonic than some of her vocal lines). It also reminds me of
> Susanne Vega a bit.
>
> OK that's it. My one and only posting relating to Tori Amos.
Interesting points.  While I do enjoy "Little Earthquakes" immensely, I could in no way compare it to "The Kick Inside" which is my all time
favorite, no contest.  But I see your point.  The Kate Bush
parallels were made too often and too easily; it automatically
sets you up to judge one artist's work by the other.  I agree with
you on the reality bit...Tori Amos' songs are so real they hurt.
Sometimes they're embarassingly intimate; I prefer to listen
to Amos alone because it's a private experience.  Bush, on the
other hand, has broken ground by going in precisely the
opposite direction: exploring the limits of fantasy and macabre,
beautiful unreality.  At least in her pre-Hounds days, could
be argued pre-Sensual days.  I mean, how can anyone listen to
the Infant Kiss, or Oh England my Lionheart or the Saxophone
Song and not get a sense that that the ordinary laws of the
universe might be suspended, just for a little while?  Amos
is earthy, and rejoices in positive/negative sexuality, pop
status, and women's roles.  Bush looks at these from a more
unearthly perspective.  This is not to criticize Tori Amos--
I was enchanted by her work the first time I heard it!  But
I have always thought that the links were overdrawn, or at
least drawn heavy-handedly.