Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori Amos discussion

From: pptjc@brighton.ac.uk (Peter Chow <pptjc@uk.ac.bton.vaxk>)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 20:05:23 GMT
Subject: Tori Amos discussion
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@unix.bton.ac.uk

I discovered something today. It's been bugging me for some time now
but I think I have the answer.

The question? - "Why don't I like Tori Amos?"

This was a tough one because I actually do like a lot of her tracks
a bit. The problem here is those last two words "a bit". In most
tracks I find something that I like or that I *really* like but
they are isolated and the whole leaves me unconvinced.

My sister only has the 'Little Earthquakes' album and the 'Cornflake
Girl' CD single so I can't speak for her new album but what I've
heard so far hasn't made much impact on me.

It's not a question of skill, Tori is a very competent
singer/songwriter/musician. The production is interesting and has
variety making the recordings involving. In fact, in terms of
production it seems a more intersting album than Kate's first; at
least that was my immediate impression upon playing Tori's album
directly after 'The Kick Inside'.

It's not really the songs themselves either; The lyrics are good,
delivered with expression and emotion. I could get used to her piano
style which has a definite jazzy feel sometimes and her
predisposition to dischords and the _angular_ shape of the music
(sudden changes in the feel or flow of the melody).

Much has been made of the comparisons between Kate and Tori but I
tried to put such thoughts aside while assessing Tori's music.
However, in the end it was a comparison that led to my 'discovery'.

Kate's songs have the same strength of emotion as Tori's but when I
listen to Kate it is with the clear understanding that the songs
personalities are those of actors. There is a strong escapism
element to them. This is where Tori's songs differ. They seem to be
real, too real. This would not be a bad thing except for the anger
and even sometimes hate that she expresses. It is this that leaves
the bad after-taste with me.

This goes some way to explaining why I like 'Cornflake Girl'. It is
a fictional work and has some of the most obscure lyrics I've ever
come across. This works in it's favour though as I can spend ages
pondering what on earth it's supposed to mean, if anything. The
track is also one that has more dynamics in the melody (less
monotonic than some of her vocal lines). It also reminds me of
Susanne Vega a bit.

OK that's it. My one and only posting relating to Tori Amos.