Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori Amos discussion

From: simchik@cs.rochester.edu (Drew Simchik)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 20:51:04 GMT
Subject: Re: Tori Amos discussion
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1994Aug2.200523.14401@unix.brighton.ac.uk>,
Peter Chow <pptjc@uk.ac.bton.vaxk> <pptjc@brighton.ac.uk> wrote:

>My sister only has the 'Little Earthquakes' album and the 'Cornflake
>Girl' CD single so I can't speak for her new album but what I've
>heard so far hasn't made much impact on me.

Here's your problem.  (I assume you mean the American release of CG?
Because that one has the B-sides "Daisy Dead Petals" and "Sister
Janet" on it, which are just wonderful.)  You see, UNDER THE PINK is a
lot less raw than LE, and a lot more Katelike, and I think you'd like
it a lot better.  I do.

>Kate's songs have the same strength of emotion as Tori's but when I
>listen to Kate it is with the clear understanding that the songs
>personalities are those of actors. There is a strong escapism
>element to them. This is where Tori's songs differ. They seem to be
>real, too real. This would not be a bad thing except for the anger
>and even sometimes hate that she expresses. It is this that leaves
>the bad after-taste with me.

That gave me some problems, too.  Again, I say try UTP.

>This goes some way to explaining why I like 'Cornflake Girl'. It is
>a fictional work and has some of the most obscure lyrics I've ever
>come across. This works in it's favour though as I can spend ages
>pondering what on earth it's supposed to mean, if anything. The
>track is also one that has more dynamics in the melody (less
>monotonic than some of her vocal lines). It also reminds me of
>Susanne Vega a bit.

Wellllllllll...I don't know about "fictional", exactly, but at least
it's less obvious.  The whole album is like that, lyrically speaking.

Like I say, I had similar problems with Tori at first...then I got
hold of some B-sides, and started to adore her...then I got hold of
UTP and started to worship her.  End of story.  :)

Drewcifer