Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Bush-el of Fruitopia

From: rlovejoy@pipeline.com (Robert Lovejoy)
Date: 4 Aug 1994 19:35:41 -0400
Subject: A Bush-el of Fruitopia
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hello RMG!
     This isn't my usual territory, but I do lurk in now and
then.  I'm
usually over on Ecto.  However, the following article caught my
eye and I thought it would be nice to share it with you.
     I'm in the television postproduction business, and one of
our trade papers, SHOOT, deals with all aspects of
commercial-making.  In their current issue, dated July 29, the
following article appears:

     A Bush-el of Fruitopia

     by Michael Clark

     When Kate Bush took the assignment to do the music for
Coca-Cola's new
Fruitopia spots, it was indeed free rein for the British
singer/songwriter
_People_ magazine once dubbed "The Queen of Ethereal Pop".
     Chiat/Day, New York, creative director Marty Cooke and
executive
producer Andrew Chinich were overjoyed when Bush agreed to do
not only
one, but all nine of the spots in the Fruitopia campaign.
Perhaps the
fact that they told her she could do anything she wanted with
the scores
had something to do with it.  In any case, Cooke and Chinich
were just
glad to get Bush on the job, which she did from London with a
bunch of
hand-picked musicians.
     "In early tests, we played different music against the
visuals, and
Kate Bush music felt intuitive and right," Cooke says.  "It
gave the
campaign a lot more consistency than it would have otherwise."
     Bush, with 15 years of producing her own eclectic albums
(and video
clips) in the music business, was told only to provide a
"variety" of
styles and moods for the Fruiopia spots directed by Greg Ramsey
out of
bicoastal Farenheit Films.
     The spots, which broke in early July in a variety of :30s
and a
:60 cinema version called "What If," features intense
kaleidescope-style
manipulations of brightly colored fruit.  Serendipitous text
appears in
the center of the psychedelic frame, with the soundtracks by
Bush giving
the spot an almost dizzying pace.
     "We're very pleased...all the indications are that the
music is one
of the strongest parts of the campaign," says Chiat/Day's
Cooke.  Bush
supplied a variety of soundtracks, from a version that is heavy
on
percussion, to a poppy "lounge" guitar/keyboard combination, to
one
Cooke describes as sounding "like a bunch of Japanese
schoolchildren."
     For the cinema :60 "What If," which is number one on the
most recent
SHOOT Top 10 Spot Tracks chart, Bush put down a track of very
tribal
percussion with layers of rhythmic chants that blend with the
changing
fields of rotating fruit.
     "She said she was interested in providing a lot of
variety, from
Japanese drummers to Moroccan music...and she came through in
spades,"
Cooke says.

     I for one was unaware that Kate had done this music.  My
son and I
were watching teevee together recently and were both pleasantly
impressed by one of the spots described.
     Vickie, or anyone, please feel free to post this over on
Kate's mailing list.
     Best wishes to everyone,
                             Bob Lovejoy