Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "You Want Alchemy"

From: pptjc@brighton.ac.uk (Peter Chow <pptjc@uk.ac.bton.vaxk>)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 02:11:48 GMT
Subject: Re: "You Want Alchemy"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@unix.bton.ac.uk

In article <1994Jul20.141813.5242@galileo.cc.rochester.edu>, as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tree of Schnopia) writes:
>In <19JUL94.20232959.0009.MUSIC@SLUMUS> "Fisher, Carlton D." <SLUMUS!X7E0@uunet.uu.net> writes:
>
>>This is in response to yesterday's posting which referred to Kate's
>>"You Want Alchemy" as "crap".  I also have the European single of "The
>>Red Shoes" and I think that the track in question is actually a very
>>good song-- so stick your opinion in a cloud and bust it.
>
>Have I missed some addition to the gaffa FAQ which says that any negative
>opinion of a Katesong is automatically subject to unadulterated flamage?
>Because you disagree with me, I'm supposed to take my abuse like a good boy
>and sit in the corner?  Grow up, people.
>

>Drewcifer
>--
>Andrew D. Simchik, as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu, simchik@cs.rochester.edu

Peter Chow from Brighton (UK) adds:

Wow! It's good to be back! I've been off for a week now after my computer
started giving me grief.

I happen to like YWA quite a lot but I'm not going to fly off the deep end
because someone opines that it is "crap". Without a qualifying argument
to support such a statement it carries little weight. Whenever I talk to
someone about music or a film or whatever it is not so much whether they liked
 it or not that matters to me but *why* they liked or disliked it. If you
cannot quantify what elements of a piece of art you are criticising then
your judgement, one way or the other, counts for little.