Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: tori song question

From: jwwarren@aol.com (JWWARREN)
Date: 25 Jul 1994 21:23:03 -0400
Subject: Re: tori song question
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aol.net

In article <unga0001.774989118@gold>, unga0001@gold.tc.umn.edu (Shira C
Ungar) writes:

>a friend of mine made me a tape with Tori Amos' "Mary". I adore the song
>and am curious as to where it came from. I assume it is from one of the
>singles, but have yet to find it. Is it her own song? it sounds more like
>a remake, but who's song was it?
>And istn't "even the wind cries you name" a jimi hendrix lyric?

This song is a B-side to the "Crucify" CD single from the UK (not the U.S.
EP and not the UK live EP but a third version of Crucify-- Tori fans have
to buy lots of singles to keep current. It is a Tori song, but it
certainly seems evocative of the Hendrix song "the Wind Cries Mary" (I
think that's the title, I'm not at home so can't check my CDs).
You might still be able to find this single.
There is an interesting line in the song: "when i hear help is on the
way..."
I wonder if its a reference to the G Dead song "Help is on the Way" or if
she's talking about help being on the way.
JW