Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Copyright

From: nrc@cbemx.cb.att.com ( N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 13:59:37 GMT
Subject: Re: Copyright
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@nntpa.att.com (Netnews Administration)

In article <01HDQCHHUILO9209SC@delphi.com>, METH@delphi.com (Suspended In Duct Tape) writes:

> Ah, it's a sad day when Internet folk are worried about copyright
> infringement.
> ;>

Actually the whole net.culture may be in for a big wake-up call.  The
Internet is becoming a hot topic and is getting more and more
accessable to the average person.  This isn't a private club anymore.

> Seriously, though, does the copyright extend to any image of Kate?  I remember
> when we were trying to do the rdt shirts there was a concern brought up that
> since Tori's tour is going on and they're selling merchandise at the shows, ]
> it's illegal for anyone else to put Tori's image on anything until the tour ]
> is over.

When we were thinking about doing a T-shirt for RDT fanzine
subscribers we were told that we would have to get approval from
Brockum, the merchandising company that currently owns the rights to
Tori's image on a shirt.  We decided not to bother with it right then
since there are plenty of T-shirts to choose from at the concerts.  We
may look into it again after the tour.

> Somehow we managed to get around it with original artwork (Richard, you can
> explain this much better than I can!).  I think original artwork of Kate would
> be the way to go, since any photograph might present a problem.... anybody
> have Pauline Stuckey's number?

The T-shirt you're thinking of was done by the folks on the rdt mailing
list and we didn't have anything to do with it.  I doubt that Brockum would
try to come after a small group like that and they might not even care
about the fanzine, but since the fanzine has the support of Tori and her
management we have an obligation to co-operate with them.

The question remains whether using a drawing would get around that
problem.  We were told that the rights were for Tori's image, not just
her photo.  But that's an issue specific to Brockum's contract with
Tori and her management, if Kate doesn't have a similar contract it
may not be a problem.

Richard Caldwell

PS.  Kelly Baker, please drop us a line, we need your current address.

--
					N. Richard Caldwell
					AT&T Network Systems