Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hello Earth

From: upsiu@mcs.noc.drexel.edu (Paul Siu)
Date: 14 Jun 1994 03:53:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Hello Earth
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
To: ee3smda@midge.bath.ac.uk (S M D Armour)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> I recently had a couple of friends of mine translate the whispered german
> near the end of Hello Earth to:

>    Deep, deep
>    Somewhere in the deep
>    There's a light

> Any offers on what the significance of this is? How does this fit with
> the recent interpretation?

Ah, my favorite album. There must be a billion interpretation to the
Ninth wave. I suspect Kate Bush meant it to be that way.  I don't know
of any recent interpretation, or past interpretation.

As for my interpretation, I noted that Kate Bush is at the cloud that
she first saw a couple of songs back in "The Big Sky".  In the sky,
Kate Bush sees a entirely different perspective than on the ground.
At the end of "Hello Earth", Kate is falling from the sky and back into
her body, though it could probably mean that she is falling into her
true spiritual self, since the next song "The Morning Fog" is so upliving.
It's hard to say that she had drowned. If you want to go the physical route,
she had probably been rescued since "Waking the Witch" by the copter, but
didn't noticed.  Even if this is so, I think the recovery of her spiritual
self at the "Morning Fog" is more important.  No matter what happened, she
had found herself.

Paul
upsiu@mcs.drexel.edu
|  /       \     Little is known about Isaac Newton's older brother,    |
| / 1000 kg \    who stumbled upon the concept of gravity long before  |
|   Aaaaah!                                                             |
| Paul Siu                                        upsiu@mcs.drexel.edu  |