Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's expression

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 16:37 CDT
Subject: Re: Kate's expression
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Scott Telford writes:
>To me, in that photo Kate didn't really strike me as a having a
>"pissed off" kind of expression, but her face does look longer
>(literally) than it should be - I think someone's been dicking around
>with the aspect ratio on that one. Why can't graphic designer types
>these days leave aspect ratios alone?

   The problem is that most software these days requires the user to
take special care to *avoid* screwing up the aspect ratio. The re-sizing
function of most software will happily munge the picture aspect ratio to
maintain a particular size, and most software has no idea how to handle
non-square pixel aspect ratios. Check out any of Ron Hill's .gif images
in the Lovehounds archives. Most of those were produced on Ron's Amiga,
and the pixels on most of those images were oblong, resulting in
stretched images when displayed on other systems.

   ...or somebody may have read all the commentary here about Kate
looking "zaftig," and anamorphized her to make her look thinner.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)