Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dance this mess around

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 12:59:05 PDT
Subject: Dance this mess around
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) said:

>Karen writes:
>>In fact, my cat could have done a better remix of TRS.
>
>   Hell, Jon Drukman could have done a better mix.

Oooh, now THAT'S getting NASTY!

Actually, I quite like the remix.  It's what a remix SHOULD be.  Most
remixes - and Kate's as guilty of this as anyone - are taking a song,
then taking it again with the vocals stripped, then moshing the two
together.  That way, a 3:15 song will have a 6:30 remix.

the result:  Booo-ooo-rrrr-ing!  (example:  The Eat The Music remix)
Kate's only three remixes I like are Cloudbusting (The Organon Mix)
and The Big Sky (Meteorlogical Mix).  Why?  For the most part, she
adds things that make them completely new songs.  Not just stretched
out and/or padded.  The third remix I like is Rubberband Girl, even
though it IS just a stretched out version of the original.  I have no
idea why, but I like it anyway.

That reminds me - and I'm surprised that a) I never thought of this
before, and B), this isn't a FAQ:  Who DOES those spoken voices
in the Big Sky remix?  The one saying "This cloud should be removed
immediately!" sounds JUST LIKE John Cleese.

Which brings us to now the FORTH Kate remix I like _ Shoedance.  This
is an utterly NEW song, it's SO re-worked and done over.  OK, so I like
the original better.  Much better.  But in terms of turn-the-volume-to-11
and-bounce-around-the-room, Shoedance fits the bill quite nicely, thank you.
And this is coming from someone who HATES anything that even comes close
to being in the neighborhood of even slightly resembling Techno.

>And *what* is that background? For those who haven't seen the film,
>it is *not* a scene in the movie, unless it was a scene cut from the
>film (possibly from the "running through Hell" segment.) But that seems
>unlikely, as the films apparent budget makes it unlikely that any major
>scenes were shot and not used.

Also, we can now identify the rest of the TRS singles covers from TLTC&TC,
BUT, what is the cover of the album itself?  Yeah, it's Kate's red shoes,
I know, but what IS that she's walking on?  It sure isn't from the film...

- Stev0 the remixed

"It's really happening to you!  You bet your life it is" - Rubberflake Girl