Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate and Prince & Other TRS Collaberators

From: bmiller@zdlmail.zdlabs.ziff.com (Miller, Ben)
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 94 10:51:48 PST
Subject: Kate and Prince & Other TRS Collaberators
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Encoding: 1669 Text

Hello everyone.

Thoughts on Prince

Recently, there has been some commentary regarding Kate's supposed collaboration
with Prince (or whatever you want to call him).  First, I apologize for posting
after the thread appears complete, but I've been out of town and without e-mail
access.  I think there are a couple things to bear in mind. It has been my
experience that Kate has always given due credit to the people she has worked
with.  Not just in liner notes, but in KBC magazines as well.  She also takes
great effort to control her compositions and recordings as much as possible -
they all bear her mark, regardless of where she may draw influence from. So I
think it unlikely that she would let go in this instance. Lastly, because of
Prince's prominence in the music world, people might assume he had more
participation than he actually did.  If Rolf Harris were famous (beyond certain
circles) how many songs on the Dreaming would people suppose he co-wrote.

That being said, "Why Should I Love You" is my least favorite song on TRS, if
not my least favorite Kate song ever.  I would happily replace it with "You Want
Alchemy".

Thoughts on Other Collaberators

A lot of fuss has been made over Prince's and Clapton's involvements with TRS,
but I wanted to put in a good word for Jeff Beck, whose guitar playing, IMHO
dances all over Clapton's mad combines with the Trio Bulgarka's voices very
well.  Particularly, I wanted to talk about Gary Brooker, whose fine keyboard
playing provide a subtle textural groundwork for the songs he plays on.

See ya,

Ben Miller
bmiller@zdlmail.zdlabs.ziff.com