Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

i just don't get it

From: Suspended In Duct Tape <METH@delphi.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 00:03:16 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: i just don't get it
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi!

Mark Semich exhorted:

>But now that I have experienced "You Want Alchemy," I realize the
>error of my ways and recant:  Yes, KATE IS GOD!

What is it about this song?  I've taken the time to listen to it quite
a few times in the past couple of days, and have come to the conclusion
that it's really one of the least remarkable things Kate's ever done.
Why are so many people having multiple orgasms over it?  I'm sure IED
will immediately pop up and say i'm Missing The Point, and if indeed
I am, I dearly wish someone would show me what that point is.

Musically it oozes along and is quite forgettable.  Lyrically, it seems
to be just a "been there, sung that" compendium of phrases and images
we've seen in Kate's songs before.  And she does some things with her
voice in this track that *really* worry me.  Like that spine-crawling
throat-searing supersonic screech reminiscent of the "what am I gonna
DO" line from "Constellation Of The Heart"... really, that can't be
very good for the larynx, and it makes me cringe.

Bewildered and seeking enlightenment, I remain,

*Meredith A. Tarr               New Haven, CT USA            meth@delphi.com*
*"Sure,she's female,she plays piano,she's on nodding terms with the fairies,*
* but all [Tori] Amos has in common with [Kate] Bush is that there's no one *
* like either of them." - from Western Australian review of _Under The Pink_*