Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: i just don't get it

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 16:10:13 GMT
Subject: Re: i just don't get it
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <01HCRWQDOH7I8Y7HAC@delphi.com> METH@delphi.com (Suspended
In Duct Tape) writes:

   What is it about this song? ["You Want Alchemy"] Musically it oozes
   along and is quite forgettable.  Lyrically, it seems to be just a
   "been there, sung that" compendium of phrases and images we've seen
   in Kate's songs before.  And she does some things with her voice in
   this track that *really* worry me.  Like that spine-crawling
   throat-searing supersonic screech reminiscent of the "what am I
   gonna DO" line from "Constellation Of The Heart"... really, that
   can't be very good for the larynx, and it makes me cringe.

I guess I'd agree with you about the music.  I find the music to be a
pretty decent reworking of Prince's "Purple Rain" with some nice
Debussy thrown in, but that doesn't do anything incredible for me.
The lyrics, on the other hand, I really like.  I guess I just have a
soft spot for bees.  I also love anything that makes my spine crawl.