Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: i just don't get it

From: pptjc@vaxk.bton.ac.uk (It's in the trees... It's coming...)
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 09:51:03 GMT
Subject: Re: i just don't get it
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@unix.bton.ac.uk

In article <01HCRWQDOH7I8Y7HAC@delphi.com>, METH@delphi.com (Suspended In Duct Tape) writes:
>Hi!

Meredith: On the subject of You Want Alchemy...

>What is it about this song?  I've taken the time to listen to it quite
>a few times in the past couple of days, and have come to the conclusion
>that it's really one of the least remarkable things Kate's ever done.
[lines deleted]

Peter Chow from Brighton (UK) replies:

I disagree with those who have said that YWA shhould have been on the album
because while it is one of the best B-sides she's done for quite some time
it's still not that good. I listen to it quite a lot these days. I like the
imagary in the lyrics. Some may feel that because the subject is a simple
one i.e. Kate likes honey, and that there are no great 'experiences' to be
had or mind expanding thoughts to keep your brain engaged for a couple
of hours that this song is a waste of space.

Perhaps my real reason for liking this song though is that the images in
it remind me of an animated film by a final year student at the Royal College
of Art, entitled "The Mill". It was a surreal work with the main characters
being a bee-keeper, a small girl, and bees. Unlike the subject of YWA this
film had some quite dark and threatening imagary as well as the pleasant.