Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: favorite songs...

From: Gary Moore <gmoore@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 10:06:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: favorite songs...
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

> Peter Chow from Brighton (UK) adds:
>
> Yes, it puzzles me that Wuthering Heights is always voted the number one
> song by such a large margin every time one of these polls is done. It's a
> good song and it was my favourite for a long time but I don't think so
> now. Kate's vocal style has improved constantly over the years with more
> texture and solidity.
>
> Perhaps people reading this could reply to the question of what it is about
> WH that still makes it stand above all her other songs after 16 years?

The first song you hear from an artist--if you like the song--is the one
you compare all the subsequent work to?  We tend to think the first is
the best?  It's not hip to name a song heard on the radio 15 minutes ago,
so people think back to earlier stuff, maybe the hit that launched it all?

Incidentally, I heard The Whole Story vocal of "Wuthering Heights" before
I heard the original vocal; I like The Whole Story vocal better.

 magritte@goren.u.washington.edu                        Quote of foolishness:
 gmoore@u.washington.edu             "Self-interest has no place in society."
 surreal@eskimo.com                     -- Sandy Cuney, Handgun Control, Inc.