Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: In Her Free Time

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Wed, 18 May 94 23:28 CDT
Subject: re: In Her Free Time
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Stephen Golden asks:
>So we all know Kate likes to take her time between albums,
>and she doesn't tour, and she does very little publicity...

>So what does she do with all of her free time?  Does
>she have any hobbies to keep her busy?  Is she recording
>her own music for private consumption and experimentation?

   As near as we can tell, she is quite fond of taking long holidays and
has several different vacation residences. She doesn't work
continuiously on her albums, taking long breaks to re-charge.
Many of her non-work interests have made their way into her work;

Her interest in various religious beliefs on _The Kick Inside_
She had just learned to roller-skate at the time of _Sat In Your Lap_
She was into archery at the time of _Running Up The Hill_
She is a major film fan, going out to the cinema and renting loads of
videos, and this inspired several songs.
She does go to concerts, seeing Stevie Wonder inspired _Sat In Your Lap_

   She also enjoys cooking, cleaning (really!) and most importantly
gardening. One interview made quite a bit of the "herbacious border"
around her garden (an apparent reference to her rumored enjoyment
of smokable herbs.)

   Basically, she is a person with a life outside her work and the
capacity to enjoy a light level of activity. She has friends outside
of music (one KBC newsletter refered to a phone call from a friend
at the Hare Krishna Temple.) She doesn't *have* to work, she doesn't
even have to release albums. One estimate had her as the seventh or
eighth richest woman in England.

>I sure wish I could do a project every four years, and hang
>loose during the rest of the time.

   It is possible. All you have to do is write one really killer game
or app.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)