Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: aKTual KaTe KonTent (re: single)

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 21:13:57 GMT
Subject: Re: aKTual KaTe KonTent (re: single)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) says:

>>	I think the two-part "Red Shoes" is a pretty shameful piece of
>>marketing. (I don't buy the argument that the HoL tracks serve as a promotion
>>of her earlier records for newcomers, as someone suggested once). "Red
>>Shoes" along with "Alchemy" and "Shoedance" would have made a perfect CD
>>single. Moreover, if they're going to release a "two-cd set" they might at
>>least package them in such a way that they *look* like a set together.  At
>>least the two imports (England) I bought don't match:  the jewel boxes are
>>of different design (one is thin, with the disc visible, the other is like a
>>normal "LP" release).  Also the color schemes and graphics of the two discs
>>don't really work as a pair.  This is, of course, external to the music and
>>may seem petty, but it still bothers me.   (Albert)
>

>    Take a careful look at the thicker jewelbox. Open it up and place
>your fingers under the left edge of the black insert portion and pull up.
>It's a "thin-line" double CD pack. You'll find another place to put the
>second CD. Ta-da.

Jimminy!  You're right!  That was darn thoughtful of them.  A little
comical, though, though that they split up the material, pad it out with old
tracks and then have you put it back together.

The point about the twin CD issue helping to boost chart ratings is
interesting.  (see earlier postings on this strand) .  At first I thought it
was a ridiculous ploy that ratings officials would counter somehow, but then
it occurred to me that the "double-voting" by fans who buy both discs is a
valid indicator of an artist's poupularity: it takes into account intensity
of interest as well as breadth of popularity!

I still feel had.

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt