Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

aKTual KaTe KonTent (re: single)

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: 3 May 1994 03:43:54 GMT
Subject: aKTual KaTe KonTent (re: single)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <199405021918.PAA02979@roo.ins.cwru.edu> at895@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Kevin F. Holy) writes:

>1) Jorn: Fuck off.

Okay, it has nothing to do with my posting.  But I couldn't resist quoting
it anyway.  So sue me.

>I eventually bought the MoP Box (which was the same price as the reg. MoP
>import without the 4 prints..odd.)

Not at all odd.  It just depends on where your priorities are--and this
ties into a rather recent, extended thread.  The MoP box was one of the
biggest wastes EVER wrt the tracks included.  In exchange for getting those
4 prints, you gave up "Show a Little Devotion," one of the three TRS
b-sides released so far (I shan't include "Home for Christmas," which was
an old song, and so far as I know, has only been on the UK 12" MoP and the
US "Rubberband Girl").  Well, okay, so maybe that _is_ a real b-side.

Anyway.

While some folks may feel "Kate is a fox," I really couldn't care less
whether or not I have 4 nifty post cards, as long as I have ALL THE SONGS!

(and let me add that this homosexual resents the recent comment about all
men lusting after KaTe and that being a primary, or at least integral,
piece of her appeal as an artist.  I _do_ appreciate her sensuality, just
not in *that* way... ;-)

Whoops.  Rein me in.

Of course, if you don't have the Box Set and/or TWS (and therefore have
"December Will Be Magic Again" and "Experiment IV") then your best bet
*would* be to get the MoP box _and_ the US domestic "Rubberband Girl" which
miraculously contained both "Show a Little Devotion" and "Home for
Christmas."  That way, you'd be getting all the tracks, and for an extra $5
or so you'd get a neat box with some pretty cards.

Me, I just felt cheated, particularly when I first bought the MoP single
and then still had to buy the RBG single to get "Home for Christmas" -- and
I already had the RBG extended mix from the UK RBG single which I'd bought
in September.

Fortunately, I didn't have to buy the MoP box; I got mine as a gift from a
friend who's at school in London.

>I just laughed. I like the smile on her face on that. I also had to choose
>between TRS #1 and #2 to my dismay..do you think I made the right choice?

Definitely.  Sort of.  ;-)  I'd definitely choose "Your Alchemy" over
"Shoedance."  I like the remix, but it's not nearly as good as it could
have been...it should have been done as a house mix.  <sigh>  But it's fun.

"Your Alchemy" is *wonderful*.  I absolutely love it.  'Cept maybe for that
corny line about "is he some kind of nut -- or what?"  (Incidentally, has
anyone transcribed the lyrics yet?  Should I bother trying?  Most of them
are quite clear)

Again, it partially depends on whether or not you have the box set.  I just
love the 12" mix of RUTH, so if you don't have that on disc yet, TRS-2 is
probably worth having, between RUTH and Shoedance.  But if you can only get
one, I'd recommend the first single.  Besides, where else can you get the
video mix of "Cloudbusting"?

Jeff
(who is surprised to have 7 TRS-era CDs in edition to the album itself and
wonders if he would have spent $50-$60 on singles if he'd had to do it all
at once...)

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka     | "Everything is still with a fear of never coming out |
|Suffering Bad Grammar|  Never following through / Never ever finishing      |