Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: aKTual KaTe KonTent (re: single)

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 21:49:01 GMT
Subject: Re: aKTual KaTe KonTent (re: single)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) says:

>Of course, if you don't have the Box Set and/or TWS (and therefore have
>"December Will Be Magic Again" and "Experiment IV") then your best bet
>*would* be to get the MoP box _and_ the US domestic "Rubberband Girl" which
>miraculously contained both "Show a Little Devotion" and "Home for
>Christmas."  That way, you'd be getting all the tracks, and for an extra $5
>or so you'd get a neat box with some pretty cards.
>
>Me, I just felt cheated, particularly when I first bought the MoP single
<<<passages deleted>>>

>Jeff
>(who is surprised to have 7 TRS-era CDs in edition to the album itself and
>wonders if he would have spent $50-$60 on singles if he'd had to do it all
>at once...)

	After reading this posting I dumped my accumulation of TRS CDs on my
desk and marvelled at Jeff's ability to juggle all the titles and release
formats.  Next to the pile I lined up my three Sensual World CD singles and
glared at the difference.  I don't know much about the ins-and-outs of
record packaging, but it's hard to miss the feeling that the record industry
is preying pretty ruthlessly on my enthusiasm for this artist. At least I'm
getting the picture of how this works just as a flood of Elvis Costello
variations are beginning to hit the market.
	Q: Do we get the feeling that EMI is taking especial advantage of
Kate fans with all these multiple releases, or is this getting to be the
norm with most recording artists?

	I think the two-part "Red Shoes" is a pretty shameful piece of
marketing. (I don't buy the argument that the HoL tracks serve as a promotion
of her earlier records for newcomers, as someone suggested once). "Red
Shoes" along with "Alchemy" and "Shoedance" would have made a perfect CD
single. Moreover, if they're going to release a "two-cd set" they might at
least package them in such a way that they *look* like a set together.  At
least the two imports (England) I bought don't match:  the jewel boxes are
of different design (one is thin, with the disc visible, the other is like a
normal "LP" release).  Also the color schemes and graphics of the two discs
don't really work as a pair.  This is, of course, external to the music and
may seem petty, but it still bothers me.

	The MoP box comes up pretty short, too, when you find out that of
the four "color prints," one is a lyric card and another is simply the cover
again minus the irritating white sticker promoting  "December" and "Exp.
IV."  Grumble grumble, grouse.

	I guess I could have been more wary before splashing out on all
these singles, but I guess the novelty of seeing new Kate material really
drew me in.  I suppose EMI knew that it would. . .  A better plan would have
been to wait and let the dust settle before choosing a minimum of needful
discs.
					-Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt