Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: aKTual KaTe KonTent (re: single)

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: 4 May 1994 03:41:41 GMT
Subject: Re: aKTual KaTe KonTent (re: single)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1994May3.214901.5650@k12.ucs.umass.edu> asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor) writes:

>	After reading this posting I dumped my accumulation of TRS CDs on my
>desk and marvelled at Jeff's ability to juggle all the titles and release
>formats.

Well, actually, I did have to have a quick look at my US RBG single to be
certain of what it contained...the rest of 'em I knew.

>Next to the pile I lined up my three Sensual World CD singles and
>glared at the difference.

Hmmm.  TSW.  After I bought the album, I first got the 12" of TWW 'cause it
had "I'm Still Waiting" and "Be Kind to My Mistakes."  *And* it had a cool
poster.  Then I snagged the US _Aspects of the Sensual World_.  This was a
brilliant release, containing *four* b-sides (Ken, I'm Still Waiting,
BKtMM, and the instrumental of TSW).  That only left the UK "Love and
Anger" CD single for "The Confrontation" and "One Last Look Around the
House Before We Go" (it also has "Ken", of course) to round out the b-sides
from that era.  So far as I recall, "The Confrontation" hasn't been on
anything other than the L&A single.  Somewhere, I also have the gatefold 7"
import of L&A, but that stays put away along with my DWBMA single (gifts
from a friend who stayed in London for a while).

But overall, things were pretty good for the American who wanted all the
TSW tracks...one domestic single (~$6) and one import (~$10) and you could
have 'em all.  (never mind that you then bought all but one of of 'em over
again with the Box Set).

>I don't know much about the ins-and-outs of
>record packaging, but it's hard to miss the feeling that the record industry
>is preying pretty ruthlessly on my enthusiasm for this artist.

Times have changed, and it's pretty bad for Americans.  From what I've read
in r.m.g and other places on the net, cd singles are *real* common in the
UK and much better priced.  Do I correctly recall a UK shopper writing here
that he'd bought TRS 2 for #1.99?

It's just as bad for Tori fans.  So far, we've had one domestic single,
"God", which also has "Home on the Range" and the piano suite.  Over the
UK, they've had "Cornflake Girl" in *two* versions, the limited (with
covers of songs by Joni Mitchell, Hendrix, and Billie Holliday) and the
regular (with the piano suite and the wonderful "Sister Janet").  Now
they've got the two-part "Pretty Good Year" (similar to TRS).  Part one has
the title single, as well as three b-sides (two new and "Home on the
Range").  I'm not entirely sure what's on part two; I've not seen it yet,
but I recall that it's supposed to have one more new b-side on it.

The problem, of course, is that we don't get any price breaks on these two
part deals.  For my TRS, I paid an extra buck for part 1, and normal import
single price for part 2.

I have an interview with Tori on tape (yes, woj, I haven't forgotten) in
which she says that the next US single ("Cornflake Girl") would have a
couple of the UK b-sides on it, to make things better for us.  We'll see if
the single ever shows up...

>Moreover, if they're going to release a "two-cd set" they might at
>least package them in such a way that they *look* like a set together.

I'll agree with you on this one.  I've seen two part sets that actually fit
together nicely.

>A better plan would have
>been to wait and let the dust settle before choosing a minimum of needful
>discs.

Or try to wade through the bickering on r.m.g.  When MoP came out, there
was a fair amount of talk about the box and its merits (or lack thereof).

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka     | "Everything is still with a fear of never coming out |
|Suffering Bad Grammar|  Never following through / Never ever finishing      |