Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Non-lip-sync-ed videos

From: Douglas Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 16:42:38 -0400
Subject: Re: Non-lip-sync-ed videos
To: Gary Moore <surreal@eskinews.eskimo.com>
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Sender: nessus@space.mit.edu

>> [|>oug:]The reason MTV wouldn't play the real video for "Running Up
>> That Hill" is the same reason they wouldn't play the real video for
>> "Rubberband Girl" -- they're not lip-synced.  Kind of a lame
>> reason, but MTV's kind of a lame channel.

> [Gary Moore:] But I remember them playing a "very special" edition
> of Bruce Springsteen's "One Step Forward" or whatever that song was
> called.  They made a big deal about how Bruce was really singing and
> playing for it.  Yeah, it DID really sound like he was sitting in a
> kitchen.

Well, perhaps MTV would have been willing to show Kate's real videos
if she had really been singing.  But Kate was neither really singing,
nor appeared to be singing.  She wasn't playing this lip-moving game
at all.  Rather Kate was dancing in both videos and leaving her lips
relatively motionless.

Also, MTV is willing to break these rules for big stars, but seems to
insist on them for "breaking artists" (a category Kate probably will
probably always fall into the for the always lame MTV management.).

|>oug

"Cyperpunk: a computer geek who likes Ministry"