Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Obnoxious "fox" line

From: sullivan@unix1.circ.gwu.edu (Steven Sullivan)
Date: 27 Apr 1994 20:44:31 GMT
Subject: Re: Obnoxious "fox" line
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

P.R. Houghton (P.R.Houghton@newcastle.ac.uk) wrote:

: In article <1994Apr25.144912.10874@k12.ucs.umass.edu>, asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor School) writes:
: >
: > Hello All,
: >
: > As a newcomer to this group (and to the net) I don't know any of the
: > political history of this group.  To an outsider, it looks to me like
: > a weird struggle for some sort of "ownership" of Kate Bush knowledge
: > as a surrogate for an actual connection with an artist who is highly
: > inaccesible.
: >
: > At any rate, I'd like to second the comment that the "Yes, she is a
: > fox" line in the FAQ is objectionable.  Sexist, probably; juvenile
: > certainly.  It's the kind of thing that will alienate a lot of people.
: > And does it really tell us anything useful?  Why keep it?

: Oh, get a life.  If someone described Michael Hutchence as a hunk, you wouldn't
: go off it then would you?  The fact that people find Kate to be highly attractive
: is an essential part of her appeal.  To the individual, Kate's sexuality is part
: of her music and without it she would be a far less intriguing artist.  Calling
: someone a "fox" does not constitute sexism, it's just pathetic politically
: correct brigaders like yourself who choose to iron out the charm of the English
: language with such extraneous semantic construction.  You are a word-fascist
: attempting to exterminate all the non-conformist nuances of our rich language and
: as such can viewed with the same contempt reserved for all those right-wing
: preachers like Tipper Gore.  Please leave our language alone, it is just about
: the only thing stopping us from dissolving into a satellite-controlled oblivion
: of cloning.

This is hilarious.  And as regards kate bush being a "fox", she looked kinda,
um, zaftig last time I saw her.--SS