Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (no subject given!)

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 94 01:57 CDT
Subject: Re: (no subject given!)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9404062348.AA27082@bugs.TQS.COM> Steveo writes:
>Someone asked about The Line, The Cross, The Curve:
>
>>>If it is out, how is it?
>
>chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) answers:
>
>>   The opinion seemed to be:
>>
>>Kate is not a great actress
>
>Actually, it's hard to tell.  She maybe had three lines of actual
>(spoken) dialog in the whole film.  When singing, even the best dramatic
>actor looks like William Shatner.

   See: Jack Nickolson in "Tommy."

>Agree.
>
>>It was much better than "Cats" and they want to see it again and again.
>
>I never saw "Cats" - isn't that that musical by Andrew Dice Webber,
>writer of offensive musicals? - Wait, no, that was - oh, nevermind...
>However, I do want to see it again and again.

   It's from a bit from the first season of Saturday Night Live.
A TV ad for a stage magician, and all the people in the ad were saying
the exact same thing with a glazed expression. "I loved it. It was much
better than Cats. I want to see it again and again." Show my age.

>One point I'd like to bring up - during "And So Is Love", we see a
>bird flying around the room, but then the bird dies at the end (this
>seen, apparently, is also shown in the video for ASiL).
>
>My question:  Did the (real) bird really get killed?  Or did Kate (the
>real, live director, NOT the character she was playing) just HAPPEN
>to have a dead, stuffed bird lying around?  Does she have a friend who's
>a taxidermist?  My point:  For someone who's as animal-rights as Kate is,
>killing off a bird (or even exploiting an already-dead bird), even for
>the sake of art, seems someone out-of-character.

   I don't know if Kate can be described as an "animal-rights" person,
exactly. She doesn't eat meat, and encourages others not too, but it
seems to be more a personal position than a political position. Reports
that she has added fish to her diet would seem to indicate that she
is less than rigid about it.

>                                       Stev0 of
>                                        Stev0 of Cupertino
>                                         steve.b@tqs.com (mine)
>                                          steve.b@tqs.com (mine)
>                                           steve.b@tqs.com (all mine!)

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)

    Hey, what can I say. We *are* the network-age couple.
    (The old katefans@chinet.chi.il.us address is no more.)