Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

THE BEST WORKS 1978-1993 Jap. promo

From: larry@hal.com (Larry Hernandez)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 94 17:42:21 PST
Subject: THE BEST WORKS 1978-1993 Jap. promo
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi Everyone,

Just got the latest _Goldmine_ magazine in today (cover date March 18, 1994).
There`s an ad on page 11 from a company called Hard Knox Records in
Trabuco Canyon, CA.  They're selling what they call "The very rare 2 CD
Japanese Only promo release for "Red Shoes" [sic] (Toshiba-EMI)."  The
matrix numbers are listed as SPCD-1402-1403.  And all yours today for only
$500.00 U.S.  What's on it?  The following (with times):

DISC I                                  DISC II
1. Rubberband Girl 4.43                 1. Babooshka 3.20
2. And So Is Love 4.16                  2. The Wedding List 4.16
3. Eat the Music 5.09                   3. Violin 3.15
4. Moments of Pleasure 5.17             4. Army Dreamers 2.55
5. The Red Shoes 4.00                   5. Sat In Your Lap 3.29
6. Why Should I Love You 5.00           6. The Dreaming 4.41
7. You're the One 4.00                  7. Running Up That Hill 5.00
8. Rubberband Girl (Extended mix) 7.06  8. Hounds of Love 3.02
9. ETM (Madacascan Remix) 9.21          9. The Big Sky 4.41
10.Moving 3.06                          10.Cloudbusting 5.10
11.The Saxophone Song 3.48              11.The Sensual World 3.57
12.The Man With the Child In... 2.40    12.This Woman's Work 3.32
13.Wuthering Heights (New Vocal) 4.57   13.December Will Be Magic Again 4.50
14.Symphony In Blue 3.32                14.Un Baiser D'Enfant 3.00
15.Wow 3.56                             15 Experiment IV 4.21
                                        16.Running Up That Hill 5.45 [??]
                                        17.Cloudbusting (The Organon Mix] 6.31

Each CD clocks out to around 60 minutes each.  A picture of the cover of
the set is included, and it is the picture of Kate with the bird on her
head (the picture that was used for the Tower Records "Pulse" cover shot)
in the middle in a circle with the words "Kate Bush" on top (the same
printing style used on the main _TRS_CD). Centered underneath the picture
it says:

                moments of pleasure
                THE   BEST    WORKS
                   1978-----1993
including the tracks not on the original albums. For promotional use only

I wonder what that last bit is supposed to mean.  Maybe it means that
some of the songs were only on singles up to this point.  Interesting that
this is a "promo release for The Red Shoes," but does not contain the
entire _TRS_ album.  I wonder if Kate had any input in the selections of
these "best works." Has this "Madacascan" remix of ETM ever been released
before?  It's not on the U.S. CD single for ETM (but I'm relying on memory
here, which is always dangerous).  Is it on the UK single? How many
repackagings of _TRS_ does this make it (not counting bootlegs)? Do I ask
a lot of questions?

Larry (larry@hal.com)  p.s. I just called the place (714) 459-0961, and
                       ended up talking with some guy on a car phone.  He
                       said that the release is one of those packages that
                       are made to hold 2 CDs. And he said he has "a few"
                       copies for sale. But for $500.00 a pop?? Will Kate-
                       fans *really* pay "anything" for rare Kate releases?