Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TRS Peeve & Cocteau Twins Review

From: afcpeters@aol.com (AFC PeterS)
Date: 7 Mar 1994 19:07:04 -0500
Subject: Re: TRS Peeve & Cocteau Twins Review
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aol.net

 > Kate supposedly takes such time and care with lyrice, so why does
 > she atypically bend grammar in such an inappropriate manner?
 > "Oh she move like a diva do..." Like there's not enough words that
 > rhyme with "you?" that she has to use an incorrect tense? But even more
 > embarassing for her, she apparently didn't bother to look up "diva."

Using colloquial speech in a lyric, as opposed to correct grammar, is hardly a
sin; it's a legit usage of one's artictic license. That doesn't mean that
Kate's lyric there is brilliant, or that this particular usage is appropriate
(although I think it works fine), but it's certainly not definitively sloppy.
Look at it this way: Bob Dylan's "It ain't me, babe; it ain't me you been
lookin' for" would not have worked as "It is not me, child; it is not me for
whom you have been looking." Catch my drift?

Diva's do not dance, this is true, but they carry themselves with a certain
type of overarching dignity and poise, so perhaps Kate wished to capture this.
Also, diva is derived from the Latin for goddess, and so it may have been a
deliberate alternate usage. Given that Ms. Bush has been called a Pop diva for
over 15 years, I doubt she's unfamiliar with the word's true definition.

Peter Stoller