Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TRS Peeve & Cocteau Twins Review

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: 8 Mar 1994 05:11:06 GMT
Subject: Re: TRS Peeve & Cocteau Twins Review
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9403071900.AA00843@MOLLYBLOOM.MSFC.NASA.GOV> Mike.Gallaher@msfc.nasa.gov (Mike Gallaher) writes:

>	But first, the ObKate:
>	Is anyone else bothered by the opening lyrics to "The Red Shoes?"
>Kate supposedly takes such time and care with lyrice, so why does she
>atypically bend grammar in such an inappropriate manner?  "Oh she move
>like a diva do..."
>Like there's not enough words that rhyme with "you?" that she has to
>use an incorrect tense?  But even more embarassing for her, she
>apparently didn't bother to look up "diva."  This line makes as much
>sense as  "Oh she move like a Ph.D. do" or "Oh she move like an Admiral do"
>or "Oh she move like a CEO do" or "Oh she move like a Valadictorian do"
>or... well, you get the idea: a diva is a good singer, not a good
>dancer.

Nope.  You're the only one pedantic enough to care.  I love that line.

Grammar is often foregone in poetry to make a line scan or to enhance the
sounds within it.  I think the flow of the line is superb; it rolls right
off the tongue.  Don't miss the internal rhyme between "ooh", "move", and
"do."  (that's not a long o in the first word)

As for your hyperbolic examples of other words that 'make as much sense' as
"diva", stop being absurd.  If nothing else, singing and dancing are about
*music*.  If you want to make ridiculous statements about what other words
KaTe might have chosen beside diva, at least stick to the same art.
Outside of that, remember that diva stems from a word meaning 'goddess'-- a
perfect choice of words with regard to the Shoes powers.

Jeff
(who has been listening to "The Red Shoes" over and over again, trying to
get ready to compete with the song on the Eastern League sport kite
circuit, and who finds he loves the song more with every listen)

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka     | "Everything is still with a fear of never coming out |
|Suffering Bad Grammar|  Never following through / Never ever finishing      |