Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Red Shoes: a few questions

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 1994 22:04:01 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Red Shoes: a few questions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Greg Sandell <barks@garnet.berkeley.edu> asked

nicholsn@UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU commented

To which Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU> replied

> This has been discussed and I think it was Peter Manchester (?) who
> indicated that the New King James version (?) contained the same
> wording as Kate's song.  I also pointed out that my version had "with"
> instead of "of" and that I thought the meaning was love-sick.  Some
> agree some disagree (as you would expect).  Her wording doesn't
> exclude this meaning.  As one can be sick of the flu, meaning you are
> overcome by the flu, one can be sick of love; overcome by love.

       Yup.  I took a snow day two weeks ago, and with nothing better to do
posted a long commentary on the original text of SongSol 2:1-6 (the passage
Kate uses) referring to the Greek, Latin, five English translations, and
consulting a scholarly commentary.  (I'll be happy to send it to anyone
interested.)  The bottom line was that Kate is citing the unmassaged King
James Version (KJV), also known as the Authorized Version (AV), the
poetically great but now somewhat outdated 16th century translation.  In this
passage in particular, however, I found it better than the current RSV, NRSV,
NEB, or Jerusalem Bible versions.  Here's the passage again:

2:1  I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.
  2  As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.
  3  As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among
the sons.  I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was
sweet to my taste.
  4  He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love.
  5  Stay me with flagons, comfort me with apples; for I am sick of love.
  6  His left hand is under my head, and his right hand doth embrace me.

Regarding line 5b, I've now checked with Hebrew scholars and the phrase "sick
of love" does have the sense 'sick with love', 'overcome with love', i.e.
love-sick.  The word for 'sick' is used of illness, not of being tired of
something.  And the phrase 'of love' is a simple genitive--syntactically a
subjective genitive, to use the technical grammatical term.  I'd have to say
that the context pretty well forces this interpretation also.

       My earlier post was basically pedantic riffing about the text of
SongSol, not about Kate's song, but it actually led me to a possible insight
into it.  I had all that scholarly gear out because the following Tuesday I
had to lecture on SongSol in my course "Intro. to the Bible," and among the
discoveries I made in preparing was the increasing agreement among scholars
of the Hebrew Bible that SongSol *is* what it appears to be:  a compilation
of erotic love poetry, loosely organized into a dialogue between a lover and
*her* beloved.  Many current English Bibles print headings (not in the
original) in order to identify the speakers; most common is "Bride" and
"Bridegroom."  But nothing in the material suggests a marriage context except
the transparently bogus insertion in 3:6-11 of a description of King Solomon
arriving for his wedding, which is related to the ascription of the poem to
Solomon in 1:1--equally bogus.  Indeed, the lovers are so completely involved
with one another only, without reference to marriage or indeed any other
aspects of social convention, that their poetry is actively counter-cultural.
They basically want to get out in the countryside together and ball.  Or, in
the hottest scene, she wants him to come to her bedroom at night so she can
open to him (5:2-6; it is not clear whether this is a dream).  The key lines
(RSV):

  4           My beloved thrust his hand into the opening, and my inmost
       being yearned for him.
  5           I arose to open to my beloved, and my hands dripped with myrrh,
       my fingers with liquid myrrh, upon the handles of the bolt.

       The process by which SongSol became part of the Hebrew Bible is
largely a matter of surmise, but certainly associating it with Solomon and
inserting a passage that identifies him with the male lover was part of it.
Making the occasion for the love poems be a marriage also lays the blanket of
social convention over their wild sensuality.  But by far the most important
development was the application of allegorical interpretation to the poetry,
which had become standard as early as the second century BC.  In this way of
reading it, the 'bridegroom' is identified as God, the Lord, and the 'bride'
as his people Israel (Jewish), or as the church (early Christian), or as the
soul of the seeker (various mystical traditions).

       While mystical writing very regularly resorts to erotic imagery in
order to convey the power of interior spiritual experience (e.g. the Sufi
poets or the Spanish mystics), the poetry assembled into SongSol is plainly
*sensual* in intention, and spiritual only in the sense that sensuality
itself is spiritual--not in reference to the divine, but as a uniquely human
joy and intensity of life.  Feminist scholars in particular are championing
the recovery of the sensual context of SongSol.  They point out that the
intellectualism of allegory, and the conventionalism of confining the erotic
to the official and contractual context of marriage, are both typical of the
ways in which patriarchy maneuvers to deny, suppress, and control female
experience.

       If feminist scholars were to speak with one voice, and express in one
sentence their critical judgment *and* their ear for what they want heard in
the poetry, it would be something very much like "Don't want your bullshit,
just want your sexuality!"  I don't suppose for a minute that Kate Bush has
been reading biblical scholars.  But she plainly has read the Song of Solomon
in the King James version, and as a lyricist herself, her view of it has
poetic authority.

                                                            Peter Manchester
    "Hear a woman singing"                     pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                    72020.366@compuserve.com