Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Booze, fags, blokes, and me.

From: giliath@UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU (Nicholson, Christopher)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 23:45:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Booze, fags, blokes, and me.
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (USENET News System)

In article <0097ABC4.E5781160.9322@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz>, dyer_pd@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz writes...
>I;ve just bought a copy of the December issue of Q (yes, I know its almost Marchbut thats what happens when you live on a tiny island at the ass end of the
>world) and I was very suprised at the way she felt about her earlier albums.
>The interviewer asks:"Which of your old songs make you wince?"
>To which Kate replys:"My God, loads. Absolutely loads. Either the lyrics not
>thought out properly [?] or its just crap [??] or the performances werent well
>executed [?!?!?].
>One of my favourite Kate songs is Oh England (a view shared by the reporter)
>but Kate describes this song as making her "just want to die".
>Many of you enjoy Kates earlier albums especially The Dreaming , understandably,however Kate does not share your point-of-view.
>Of The Dreaming, Kate says "I look back at that record and it seems mad.I heard
>it about three years ago and couldnt believe it.Theres a lot of anger in it".
>Kate seems to feel that her earlier albums (TKI & LH) dont work as albums
>because of Kates innocence and naivity as a writer at the time these albums
>were produced.However I believe that it is exactly this youth and vitality
>that gushes out of these albums that will forever keep them fresh and new
>and will stop them becoming second-rate and old-hat.
>Kate cannot use this excuse for the next two albums (NFE and TD) as even then
>she was becoming more the business woman in control of her career and less the
>gigling school girl getting borne along on the tidal wave of her own success.
>these albums show a great deal of courage and experimentation and the raw
>feelings that are expressed through these albums seems incredible compare to
>the drab, recycled cliches of todays pop music.However Kate herself seems
>somewhat embarrassed when it comes to this creative period of her life.
>I have to ask myself why? Has she forgotten why she wrote these albums.
>Has she forgotten the feelings and emotions which drove her to write these
>powerful lyrics and create such wonderful imagery through her music.
>I wonder does she REALLY feel uncomfortable about her earlier work or does
>she think that she SHOULD feel uncomfortable about it in the light of todays
>wishy-washy, un-confrontational music.
>Although I love The RED SHOES it really just doesnt compare to Kates earlier
>work and despite any reservations that Kate herself has about her recording
>history, I would love to see her re-examine herself and get back to the
>powerful emotional centre of her music and the real soul of Kate Bush.
>                                                          Phil
I hate to waste bandwith again by replying s/editing- but I still haven't
figured it out.  Also, I know that the following is considered a waste of
bandwith but I think not in this case.
I just followed-up to say that I think you've hit the nail on the head, Phil.
I know it sounds cliche to hear this when talking about the quality of a
performer's or a band's music, but her earlier stuff was just plain better.
While TSW and TRS are both phenomenal albums, all of her earlier stuff is
*unearthly*.  I'm not a musician, but I feel that the complexity etc. of music,
while not unimportant, is not the be-all end-all.  Some of the simplest music
is also some of the most moving.  The wonder thing about our psyches is that we
can appreciate art from the most basic, "primitive" level on up to the most
convoluted arrangements and patterns.  This may draw accusations of "kitsch"
from the snot-nosed, cynical musicians crowd, but I'll love what I love and you
rest can go listen to jazz and stuff it.
-Christopher "nothing personal against jazz" Nicholson